Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco AND Hova-Bator 1602N Set!** Hatching Pics **

*Subscribes* Let the waiting begin.
pop.gif

Great idea, I have wondered how they compare side to side, should be very interesting.

Well I got up this morning and turned my brinsea on its' forward side, temp at 99.5 humidity at 41%... The 1602n temp was at 103, and humidity was at 53%... I adjusted the thermostat down 1/4 turn and removed the second vent plug.. I believed that when I moved the bator yesterday to take pictures, I must have had some water splash over into the center. Will check again around noon. Other than that.. Nothing new to report.

I LOVE you are doing this!
smile.png
I'm still an amateur on the hatching scene...HELP!!!

I am shopping right now for a new bator...and the Brinsea is on my list. I CAN'T DECIDE! I've been using the Brinsea Mini and am needing to upgrade. I do love the ease of the Brinsea products...but some swear by the styro hovabator....My experience with the mini has been humidity problems and the lack of ability to change conditions outside of filling the center cup both sides or one...ugh! Plus the problem of excessive humidity during hatch...but can't adjust during lockdown. I have had fully developed chicks that did not pip...and found that they had a lot of bubbly liquid inside the membrane- drowning? And some lengthy piping problems. So there needs to be what i focus my problems with perhaps....

If i may ask, how do you refill the water in the Octogon? are you using a hygrometer?

Oh- and primarily I'm hatching Bantam eggs- I would not assume need slightly different conditions...or....maybe so? Any thoughts guys?
roll.png

I get so lost in digging techno info on incubation. But this thread is perfect!

Nothing new STILL to report.. Sigh.. No Huge temp spikes, LOL Hova 100.9 RH 39 Octagon 99.5 RH 38..

Well to be honest, it really depends on how many eggs you want to hatch out. The Octagon 20 will only hold about 24 eggs, Of course the Hova with the turner will hold 42. The Octagon I just pour some water between the eggs into the trays. I generally always use a hygrometer, but I use it for reference. When I go into lockdown, I put a wash cloth under the tray and push it into the water. Of course when you do that you have to open the vent a little more, or you will hit 80 RH.

Onwards and Upwards!

Now if I could just get this sponsored..lol... Two companies, Two Bators, 22 Eggs, (Big Explosion in the background) This is the 2011 Incubator Hatch-o-Rama Brought to you by Brinsea, and GQF!!!

Lol.

It would be a good idea.. Ova-Easy VS Sportsman.. LG VS 1588 (that would be a gimmie)

This will be interesting to watch!
pop.gif

I've never hatched eggs, but I have a chance to borrow a Hova-Bator 1602. I was just reading the directions, and it says to set the temperature at 99.5. If I try this, should I aim for 101 instead? Why the different temperatures?

If your 1602 has the fan kit in it, you will want 99.5... Forced air incubators... Still air incuabators target temp is 101 at the top of the egg. Bottom of the egg will be around 99.5

Back
Top Bottom