Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco AND Hova-Bator 1602N Set!** Hatching Pics **

A Thermal incubator uses heat to circulate the air. As the warmer air rises, it pulls in cooler air from the bottom. This works slowly however and what you end up with is layers of heat. Think of it as a layer cake. The layer that is on top of the eggs is generally around 101 degrees with the layer at the bottom of the egg being around 99 degrees. This is the oldest method of incubation at one time they called this an electric hen. Heated air exits the vents on top of the bator, with fresh air drafted into the bator from different vents. These types of bators also are prone to have hot spots generally around the heating elements.

Forced air uses a fan to continually move air inside the incubator creating a more consistant temp from the top of the egg to the bottom. Because the air is being forced to circulate, there aren't as dramatic of thermal layers. Also because the air inside of the bator is mostly the same temp, it creates a positive pressure due to the expansion of the air. This allows the incubator to constantally draw fresh air in while venting the warm air out. Keep in mind that the fans of these types of bators don't generally blow directly on the eggs, but on the side of the bator so that you don't have warm spots.

Turning is the same for both incubators...

There is another type of incubator that is just to cost prohibitive for me to test is a contact incubator. This type uses a material that is warmed to the exact temp of a chicken and it comes into contact with the eggs, the same way a hen would sit on them. These are very good but cost a lot of money.

Candle Results..

Hova out of the 11 eggs that were set in the incubator, at the end of day 5 we have 10 that show vessel stucture, and can see the embryo in most.. Only one was questionable and that was due to a really dark egg that was porous.

Brinsea out of the 11 eggs that were set in the incubator, at the end of day 5 we have 9 that show vessel structure, and can see the embryo in most.. We had 2 questionable eggs,one being both were porous and really dark, and the other was really dark.

The really dark eggs in both bators were the Black Australorps

I will candle again after the end of day 7

Cool!
thumbsup.gif

I love the 1588, have had many a great hatch..and I don't worry about the water getting low, so when you mentioned you were low on water, I know you need not worry. Sometimes, I don't even get water back in until it is almost gone..still have them hatch. I just make sure the last 3 days the humidity is up, even adding a sponge to get it up.

Sooo, go Hova!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I have a 1588 too! I hatched 11/15 button quail out the other day. I set 3 of my own chicken eggs and only one didn't make it. They're due tomorrow and one is already starting to pip! Then I got 9 eggs from a BYC'er and 7/9 are showing movement!
smile.png
I've very pleased!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I'm quiet happy w/ my hatch because the electricity went off for two hours a day before the quail were due to hatch. They hatched afew days late but hatch they did!
smile.png

I have a Brinsea Mini Advanced in the mail, should be here the 19th.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom