Brinsea Octagon 40 Thread

If it was not for the black cooper maran eggs I would have been 100%. My next hatching im going to try all Maran eggs and see if I have better luck. Any advise on them?
I know there are threads on that exact subject, but I have no personal experience. From what I have read, they are more challenging to incubate. Some threads say higher humidity, some say lower. Lower makes sense to me, just because the pigment layer is so thick on the shell. I would imagine it retains moisture more than the lighter eggs, so would need lower humidity to properly develop the air cells.
I hope you find out, because my BCMs are 5 months old now. I hope to be incubating them by the end of summer

I know there are threads on that exact subject, but I have no personal experience. From what I have read, they are more challenging to incubate. Some threads say higher humidity, some say lower. Lower makes sense to me, just because the pigment layer is so thick on the shell. I would imagine it retains moisture more than the lighter eggs, so would need lower humidity to properly develop the air cells.
I hope you find out, because my BCMs are 5 months old now. I hope to be incubating them by the end of summer

well it seems like I'll be the guinea pig again. haha! I'm going to see if I can find any bcm eggs locally. If not I try and find shipped ones that are close. That seemed to be the key on my last hatch. I only ordered eggs from sellers that were with in 250miles.

well it seems like I'll be the guinea pig again. haha! I'm going to see if I can find any bcm eggs locally. If not I try and find shipped ones that are close. That seemed to be the key on my last hatch. I only ordered eggs from sellers that were with in 250miles.
There is a member on BYC, Ladycat, who has wonderful reviews on the quality of her chickens and hatch rates on her shipped BCM eggs

Bump
I read that JennyTenny just bought a 40, so I'm hoping she will keep this thread going

Well it's unpacked and plugged in...just need to get those darned eggs here. I was just reading the above post from poultryman84 wanting good Marans eggs...the lady I bought the batch from that are in the 20 was absolutely fab to work with...the BCMs were nice and dark, we'll packed, good lines, promptly delivered...and most importantly...all the air sacs were intact and 16/17 looked great at lockdown. The one I took out looked to have stopped developing about day 12-ish...but fertile for sure. We will see how the hatch goes. Her name was Helen from Blue Water Ranch...found her on eBay. Near Houston Texas.

Well it's unpacked and plugged in...just need to get those darned eggs here. I was just reading the above post from poultryman84 wanting good Marans eggs...the lady I bought the batch from that are in the 20 was absolutely fab to work with...the BCMs were nice and dark, we'll packed, good lines, promptly delivered...and most importantly...all the air sacs were intact and 16/17 looked great at lockdown. The one I took out looked to have stopped developing about day 12-ish...but fertile for sure. We will see how the hatch goes. Her name was Helen from Blue Water Ranch...found her on eBay. Near Houston Texas.
Thanks for picking up the thread. I'm looking forward to following your hatch

I know this thread hasn't had much action in a while but I'm hoping someone can give me some input? I bought the Octagon 40 Advance with the humidity pump upgrade. It's set up and running smoothly. I have Salmon Faverolle eggs coming in on Friday. This will be the first time using the Brinsea. (Upgraded from LG still air, to Hovabator Genesis, to Brinsea) So here's my questions..
-The pads that come with the humidity pump, I'm pretty sure they go in the rails. Do you guys incubate with those in or just use the rails? I did a test set up with store bought eggs and the pads, and could only fit 3 rows of 6 eggs with a small section left over that wouldn't be wide enough for an egg. If I go this route, there's no way I can get 40 eggs in there. I only have 2 dozen coming, so it won't be too much of an issue this round but in the future it may.
-Do you remove the rails at lockdown and lay the eggs on their sides or do you leave the rails in and hatch them upright? With my other incubators, I've had better hatch rates when I hatch upright.
That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Check out my picture on page 2 of this thread. I used the rails until lockdown I put sponges in to hold the eggs in place on the ends. Then lay the eggs on there sides and stop turning. I had a great hatch with shipped eggs my first go around.

Back
Top Bottom