Brinsea Ovation 56 EX humidity

Just got done recalibrating the Brinsea thermometer with the help of their Support tech. He has been wonderful through this whole mess and really gone above and beyond. I can incredibly impressed with their level of service.

He mentioned to me while we were recalibrating that the Govees ARE very accurate but are designed to be used in larger areas with greater airflow -- rooms, not incubators -- so they may calibrate wonderfully but not necessarily be as accurate inside an incubator. He recommended that I keep an eye on everything to make sure that the temperature appears to be correct (I assume watching for signs of high/low temps in my hatches, like early/late hatch dates, etc.)

That said, since I had another thermometer read similarly to the Govee, I'm pretty confident that the Brinsea was slightly off. Recalibrating the Brinsea was super easy and only took a couple of minutes to do while on the phone with the tech, and it will be easy for me to adjust in the future if need be. Now that I know how, it'll be a 30-second tweak.

Lockdown is tomorrow, so here's hoping I at least get a couple of chicks from this trainwreck/rollercoaster of an incubation for them (since they started out in the POS and I had very poor "start" rates and a lot of early quitters). Doesn't make for a good control hatch, but I've already got eggs lined up for the next hatch and that should give me a decent idea of how this thing is going to perform.

I'm not sure what's going on with mine. It's my first time using the 56 EX. Humidity is about 7%higher over the evaporation block than on the far side. Temp is within .2 degree (according to my Govees) However, I every single egg that was on that far side has failed to develop at all while those on the side with the evaporation block are developing! These are my own eggs and the once that didn't develop have had a 100% hatch just a today in my NR360. I just checked a fresh egg today and it was fertilized! This is certainly a mystery to me.

That's definitely unusual! I can't imagine the humidity having a hand in that. It's just been a weird year for hatching. Did you put a different breed on that side, or maybe the older eggs ended up over there?

That's definitely unusual! I can't imagine the humidity having a hand in that. It's just been a weird year for hatching. Did you put a different breed on that side, or maybe the older eggs ended up over there?
No. That's the oddness of it all. These were eggs that I've been hatching from a specific hen. I just hatched 6 of 6 last night in my NR 360. 7 of 7 in the far row show no growth at all, so I'm just baffled. I haven't candled all the other yet, just spot checked a few. I was so discouraged and am just going to wait a few days and check all eggs to see where things stand.

No. That's the oddness of it all. These were eggs that I've been hatching from a specific hen. I just hatched 6 of 6 last night in my NR 360. 7 of 7 in the far row show no growth at all, so I'm just baffled. I haven't candled all the other yet, just spot checked a few. I was so discouraged and am just going to wait a few days and check all eggs to see where things stand.
Maybe poor air circulation? I guess the best thing you can do is do another set of eggs and see if they suffer the same fate. If they do, you can always start moving the egg trays around when you candle.

Maybe poor air circulation? I guess the best thing you can do is do another set of eggs and see if they suffer the same fate. If they do, you can always start moving the egg trays around when you candle.
It could be that , or maybe I'm just having really bad luck with this batch of eggs. I'll let this hatch finish so I can see what kind of results I get and go from there. I need a baseline.

It could be that , or maybe I'm just having really bad luck with this batch of eggs. I'll let this hatch finish so I can see what kind of results I get and go from there. I need a baseline.
Bad luck with hatches seems to be going around this year. :(

I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a way to test the turner? I had it turned off for the first 3 days of this set, and turned it back on this morning, but I haven't heard it do the little beepy noise it makes when it's turning, and the eggs are still sitting dead center -- no signs of tilting. It was working before but I'm freaking out a bit now.

I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a way to test the turner? I had it turned off for the first 3 days of this set, and turned it back on this morning, but I haven't heard it do the little beepy noise it makes when it's turning, and the eggs are still sitting dead center -- no signs of tilting. It was working before but I'm freaking out a bit now.
All you need to do is hold down the okay button, then hit the plus and minus at the same time. It will make the turner engage!

Back
Top Bottom