Brinsea Ovation 56 EX

True, however, I find some breeds do better under different humidity so it allows me to separate them but hatch at the same time.

I'm keeping my Styrofoam bators and plan to use them for temporary brooders or when I get a chick that isn't as healthy as its peers. :)

So far so good. Lockdown was today. Hatch day is Saturday 2/4. I set 4 Hedemora and 5 Olandsk. (I have more in a little giant 9300; these breeds require a lower humidity so that's why only these are in the Ovation.)

The lid is heavy so getting eggs out individually isn't fun. I take out a tray at a time. Putting trays back in takes attention. It's easy once you figure it out. Lol. I should've played with those a bit more prior to setting. The bottom peg isn't alway inline (based on turner position); gotta have light on next to it to see better. My eye sight isn't what it use to be.

The humidity drip seems to have started to pool ever so slightly right below where it drips out. A white residue is present which may have something to do with being on well water, causing a slight recess that effects the flow. I don't think it's a leveling issue but I'll probably check that out just to make sure. The humidity remains constant so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Last, it makes an annoying hum/roaring sound when the lid isn't just right. If I press lightly on the top, it goes away. Sometimes it stops or starts right after the turner activates. Again, it may be a leveling thing. For $600, I would expect it not to be so sensitive. It's not loud, just annoying.

Other than those points, I love it. It truly is easy to use and I feel confident it will maintain the correct temp/humidity, unlike the styrofoam bators I've been using. Those, I have to babysit constantly every day. Ovation I just need to make sure theres water in the bottle.

I'll make another video when they hatch then another after to go over my experience. Sorry this post was so long!!

Update on brinsea: my hatch rate sucked but I feel that had to partially do with the eggs I set (shipped Olandsk & hedemora). Of 9, 3 hatched. My first time with hedemora but second with Olandsk. Last time I only got 1. Both are very temperamental on humidity. Thought Brinsea would ensure good hatch rate since it 'controls' it, but no such luck.

The cover of the Brinsea is all clear - see through. However, it's wavy so hard to clearly see at all angles. That really sucks. Thought I'd have a good view but no.

In the future I will set some local eggs along with some shipped for comparison. Knee deep in chicks at the moment so it'll be awhile.

Do I like it, yes. Love it, no. Is it better than Little Giant 9300 (digital) - most definitely. (It spiked to 105 this morning on 2 separate thermometers. Digital reading was 92). Definitely not worth $600. Glad I bought it but feel what I paid was way over priced.

I've got babies in it drying off but will post a video when they transfer to the main brooder.

Happy hatching!

Just ordered a 28 EX from Amazon, gets here in 2 days. Just had a disastrous first Incubation attempt with Farm Innovations 4250 that we got from Tractor Supply in Jan 28. Heater started malfunctioning at day 17, by day 23 it was dead. Only 2 chicks. At least the 30 day warranty should apply. Brinsea 3 year warranty sounds much better and ever one loves them. Looking forward to batch #2.

Ok. So one thing that is different with these as opposed to the Octogon Models is that there is no hatching tray so to speak. Meaning one must keep the water wells covered (with supplied covers) during hatch. So, how does one wick into the channels as with the Octogon models????

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom