Brinsea Ovation 56 EX

I have left my Brinsea at the factory settings.  I put the sensorpush in one of the racks in place of an egg and it kept the last egg from falling over.   I usually use nice round rocks as place holders.  When transitioning to the hatch i tucked the sensor to the side in one of the slots where the racks normally sit.  My sensor push usually sits around 98.5. Yours seems low. might want to put some others in for a spot check to see who is right.  4 degrees is a lot.

Once you are happy what the actual temp is then you can adjust the sensor push and it will save that setting. I added +1.0 F and it stays right at 99.5 to 99.6.

I got to talk to the Brinsea Rep and they take the temps 1 inch off the floor (so in the egg rack) and at the level of the 2nd and 3rd egg rack ( so in my unit, right under the center control unit). Once I went there, I'm running the temp about 1.5 degrees higher to get a 99.3 -99.5 degree reading on the sensor push. The one thing about the unit is that it is very consistent for temp and holds humidity well.

Those spikes on the SensorPush during hatching were very cool. I hope to see they also. My second canceling happens tomorrow at day 15.

Best of luck on the hatch, we are on day 4 of our third run with the 28EX. 27 eggs this time so gonna be full of chicks i hope. Regretting not getting the 56EX now.

I agree. I would have gone to the 56 also. I'm starting to look for silver laced Orpingtons, I hope to hatch them out next.

I have the 56 Ex. I started with 11 barn yard duck eggs. 3 were not fertile and I hatched 8. I live in Montana and had no issue with the humidity until lock down when I bumped it to 65% at which time I started noticing water on the floor edges. The reservoir fill and ran along the edge and emptied into the other one.. Other than that no issues..

I'm having the same issue with my Brinsea Ovation 56. Live in Oregon. It works perfectly until lockdown when it won't increase humidity past 60%. The drip keeps running to try to go higher but just floods that side of the floor. I added a full reservoir on the other side with a Brinsea evaporation pad too, since my 1st hatch flooded the floor and wouldn't go high enough using just the pump side.

And mine vibrates too like the whole top makes noise. I adjusted all the screws for this 2nd hatch and it's better, but I'd expect more for the price.

I just took out the shelf liner for this lockdown thinking it may have covered the evaporation reservoirs making less evaporation, giving that a try. Now I hope the ridges on the floor will be enough to keep the chicks from splaying themselves. The directions say nothing about doing a floor liner so perhaps that is best. I also have closed the vent all the way since it really doesn't close the hole that much anyway.

I just finished up my second hatch with the Ovation 56 EX. This hatch was more difficult than the last. The unit simply couldn't maintain 65% humidity even with "old school" tricks (added after the EX failed to maintain by itself). As point of reference, I had 13 wet chicks, several pips and partial hatches, 3 small containers with paper towels and the unit was at 64%. I had stuck chicks, chicks with membrane glued to their backs, one little guy's wing was stuck to the back of his head, and 2 cases of spray leg. The second hatch was more troubling than the first.

Brinsea has been working with me but we are all stumped.

My question to all Brinsea Ovation 56EX owners - please provide details of the environment your unit operates in. I am specifically interested in what kind of HVAC equipment and where the incubator is located relative to the HVAC equipment.

I have a multiple unit, geo thermal system. The first hatch was troubling and the HVAC was in heat mode. The second hatch was a disaster and the HVAC was in AC mode. At this point, I am looking for any minor detail that could cause the significant change in performance between the first and second hatch and this is all I can come up with.

I called Brinsea this morning after closing my vent all the way overnight. Humidity went up to 64% but flooded the floor from the pump trying to keep the humidity up. I am on day 19 of lockdown and they told me I needed to briefly open the lid and squeeze out the Brinsea sponge inside the reservoir and dry the floor. I did this and almost emptied the reservoir and put a rubber shelf liner in the floor in case it gets flooded again since I won't risk opening it again! (Note, I also have the 2nd reservoir and sponge inside full of water. ).

My room temp is 70F with 52% humidity, no heat on inside the house since its warm here in Oregon right now.

I told Brinsea that after this hatch I will be returning the whole incubator so they can check the calibration on temp and humidity, and make sure the fn is working properly. They didn't mention others having the same issue with the floor flooding and lack of ability for this model to get up to 65% humidity for lockdown.

I will let you know how much hatch turns out. My first hatch in January actually turned out well with only 1 stuck chick and almost all hatched, and I had the same humidity issue that hatch.

My 2nd hatch is finished in the Brinsea Ovation 56EX. 100% hatch, 20 eggs, humidity was not able to reach 65% the whole lockdown until chicks started hatching then it stayed up above 65%. The floor was flooded on day 19 so I reduced the humidity setting so the pump would stop for a while then re-set 1% at a time as it would climb without more flooding. I'm still returning the unit so they can check the calibration on temp and humidity.

Update on my Ovation 56 EX flooding the floor during lockdown. Brinsea replaces the whole top of this unit after my 1st hatch flooding the floor and not being able to get up past 60% for lockdown. They said they had never heard of this problem. Sent me the new top and it doesn’t vibrate like the 1st one bit himidity for lockdown still not able to go above 58% even with both reservoirs filled and a bowl with warm water sponges added. My hatch went OK for all light colored eggs but Marans in this batch only had 5 out of 14 hatch.

Back
Top Bottom