Brinsea spot check

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by montain_dweller, Jan 23, 2014.

1. montain_dweller

montain_dweller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    Does anyone use this thermometer? What are your experiences with its accuracy?[​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I have one. It works like a charm!

3. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    Mine seems to be varying by whole degrees and jumping around. Even when it's in a water weasel.
    I am going to replace the battery this evening and see if it helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This shows the accurite reading 99.5, and the brinsea was fluctuating between 102 and 105!!

4. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I don't know that I trust that top one. I have one and I feel like it's off sometimes. Do you have a mercury/liquid thermometer in there? Mine came with one and I always go off of that first and then compare to the others to check for accuracy.

5. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    I do not. I got the bator second hand and it only had the wet bulb hygrometer.

6. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    I picked up a medical liquid style thermo, hopefully it will end any doubts. I also picks up some fresh batteries for the spotcheck

7. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    Replaced the battery, and all is well and stable

8. jbher

jbher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    Hudson, WI
    Hi there! I did a search on the spot check because I just received mine. It was ordered off of Amazon from Avianweb. But I am thinking it is not at all accurate. It is measuring the temperature 1 to 2 whole degrees higher than my other THREE thermometer's. I have tried moving it around inside the incubator and having it at different heights. It is still higher. I sent Brinsea an email but haven't heard back yet. I am set to incubate for the first time this Saturday and I'm really worried. Do I just trust the thermostats that are all reading basically the same and ignore the spot check? Is there a way I can check it's accuracy? Or calibrate it?

Thank you!

Below you'll see the far left temp is 99.9, the next one over is at 100.3, the incubator's module shows 99.7 and the spot check shows 102.4. The next picture below shows that I used some putty so the spot check "probe" wouldn't be laying flat on the egg tray. I have moved it to multiple locations. It is always higher.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    I just threw away my brinsea spot check. I have a mercury type thermometer in my incubator that was reading 99F, and then my cooking thermometer that is the HIGHLY accurate (and expensive) Thermopen and it reads 99.6F

my Spot check was reading 104-105F. Obviously it was not working.

Dan

10. jbher

jbher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    Hudson, WI
    A fellow Vikings fan!!! Hi there! [​IMG]

Well I am starting to hear more and more about inaccurate spot checks! So frustrating!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by