Broad Breasted Bronze or Bronze?

meggiedoodle

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 12, 2011
Hi everyone,
I bought two turkeys about a month ago from Wilco. They were sold as Bronze turkeys but I am wondering whether or not they are really Bronze. I am planning on doing a market project with them this summer if they can get up to weight. I don't have any pictures of them, but was wondering if others had bought from Wilco and received Bronze or BBB? Also, will I have problems with weight if they are a Bronze? Toms need to get to minimum of 20 lbs. between the ages of 16-18 weeks and hens need to get to minimum of 13 lbs. between 16-18 weeks.
Thanks all!

i didn't buy one from Wilco, but i'm certain mine is a BBB. he is 5 weeks and over 2 lbs... maybe 3+ on Saturday - that's his weigh in day... I can't believe how fast the BBB's grow!

Hi,
So the BBB should be over 2 lbs. by the 5 week mark? I just weighed mine, which will be 5 weeks tomorrow, and it weighed about 2.5 lbs. Sound like a BBB? Also, mine looks similar to that one. I tried to find the difference between Bronze and BBB on Google, but couldn't find too many pictures to compare.
Thanks for your reply!

Just look at the picture. See how heavy the legs are and how big the feet are. Also, they tend to stand with their feet spread out a little. those are pretty good signs of broad-breasted birds.

Most turkeys sold as bronze are probably BBB. Heritage bronzes should be labelled Standard Bronze.

Back
Top Bottom