broad breasted bronze turkeys - can they breed?

bkvail

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Skagit County, NW Washington
has anybody had broad breasted bronze turkeys that DID reproduce naturally? I want some turkeys that look somewhat similar to wild turkeys, but want lots of meat when it's butcher time too
smile.png

yes, I have been looking for some actually. My first choice was western wild - but I don't feel like looking into permits and junk - my second choice was the standard bronze - just can't find anybody that has them available right now (and I want about a dozen turkey poults and to add a few chickens to the order too - EE's and silkie pullets).

those toms are beautimus!

Last edited:
I don't know of anybody that has poults other than a hatchery right now. Ours are young, we got them last July or August. They are huge and just as calm and friendly. Not as curious as some breeds we have but we are pleased with them. Can't wait until they fill out all the way.

Steve

I would not mind a hatchery at all if I could find one that has poults and silkies and EE's available to ship together.......that's the trick! That, and them not charging $10 a poult like some places!

Our neighbor's Bourbon Red tom successfully mated with their BBB hen. Unfortunately, we never got to see the crosses as the hen was torn apart on her nest by a raccoon. Their tom disappeared from their front lawn a week later (probably human predator - he was huge).

Good luck!

interesting! Maybe if I cannot find someone that has standard bronze, silkies, and EE's, then I can get some BBB and another type of turkey - and keep the toms from the ''other'' turkeys...... I'll keep looking, glad I have time this week to do lots of research!

Back
Top Bottom