1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Broad Spectrum Antibiotic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MassChick, Jan 13, 2018.

1. MassChick

MassChick Chirping

Jun 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Is there a broad spectrum antibiotic I can treat my flock with? One of my girls has been sneezing and is a bit puffy with some labored breathing. No discharge from ears etc. Just want to nip anything in the bud. Something I can put in the water. I read tetracycline?

casportpony likes this.
  2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    casportpony likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Go Team Tube Feeding! Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would suggest treating only the sick ones, not the whole flock. You could try doxycycline:
    http://www.allivet.com/p-3532-bird-biotic-doxycycline-100mg-powder-packets.aspx
    doxycycline_1.jpg
    Dose is one pack per 8 ounces of water.

Note that it is not labeled for use in poultry so you should consult with a veterinarian about egg and meat withdrawal.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Treat only birds that have symptoms. If you have 1 bird that is sick at this time, then treat just her.

Antibiotics will only treat secondary infections, so a lot depends on what your bird has. Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and ILT are some of the more common respiratory illnesses. Viral illnesses usually have to run their course, but antibiotics can be used to offer supportive care if infection is suspected.

The most common medication used for respiratory illness is injectable Tylan50 which can be found at most feed stores like Tractor Supply. Some other medications you may need to order online. If you have a vet that can see your chickens or offer a prescription, this is always best.

5. MassChick

MassChick Chirping

Jun 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I brought her inside yesterday. She didn't look great yesterday. Was drinking by medicine dropper and eating a little on her own. Her breathing is very labored. I'm going to see if the feed store has anything but I can't inject anything myself. I'm not comfortable with that.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could try Tylan 50 or Tylan 200 *orally*. Both are injectables, but they can cause severe injection site reactions, so if were to use either, I would give them *orally*. Either way, orally or by injection, they must be given 3-4 times a day when used in poultry (cows get less and only once a day).

Tylan 50 dose:
    0.25 ml per pound of body weight four times a day
    or
    0.33 ml per pound of body weight three times a day
    If you cannot do 3 or 4 times a day, then do no less than twice a day at 0.5 ml per pound of body weight per day.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Injectable Tylan50 can be given orally.

Do you feel that her symptoms are respiratory illness, or could she have something else going on that's causing her distress (egg binding, crop issues, etc.).

Mama Runner and micstrachan like this.
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. MassChick

MassChick Chirping

Jun 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    So I did supportive care last night... electrolytes in water with a medicine dropper...mashed food with water. She was almost dying in my arms...eyes closed, beak open, wheezing. She did eat a little on her own. This morning she seems a little better. She is still puffy but not panting. Eating and drinking on her own, preening a little, gave me a few clucks. Her eyes and nose are pretty clear. Still sneezing a little. She had some nasal drainage yesterday but seems better. Her crop feels ok. I had a hen with pendulous crop so I know what to look for. As for eggs, she's coming off a long molt. Has laid an egg here and there so hasn't quite regulated herself yet. I'm wondering if this is bacterial now or just a virus? Don't know if I should medicate or not.

micstrachan likes this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take a fecal float to your vet?

micstrachan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: