Brodee passed away today...RIP Ch. Davmoor Vision Keeper :(

Another question:

The vet was willing to send him to be cremated when the people who brought him in were not the owners??? Odd.

My vet, who has know me way too many years would euthanize my (ex) hubby's dog because I was just the wife of the owner - not the owner. The dog needed it, too. Weird stuff. (BTW, the ex wasn't the ex then)

I'm with everyone else. I would need to see him myself.

hugs.gif
again. I am so sorry for you. You have enough to deal with without all the drama to boot.

I'm sorry.

I am so sorry that Brodie died that way. I am sitting here crying as this brought back the night we lost our Berber Bear. We just couldn't get her to the vet fast enough. I still have a Komondor and I live in fear that Puppy will go that way.
hugs.gif

I must say I would be calling every Vet in Ashland as soon as you can. I would start with the Vets closest to I-5 and the freeway exits.

I breed and show AKC.

NOTHING about this sounds abnormal. It's very common for a breeder to retrieve a nice special to go to Long Beach, very common for him to be sent with a person who may or may not be acquainted with the custodial owner. VERY common for people to ride-share and send dogs with friends. Do you know how much it costs to fly a Borzoi somewhere? And it's very UNCOMMON for any hanky-panky to occur.

I can check with my peeps who were in Long Beach to see if somebody knows that a Borzoi bloated and died, but honestly there is nothing to suspect here. Champion dogs are not in demand, and they're not worth a ton of money unless they're either nationally ranked or being used heavily at stud. Right this second I could go find you five or ten champion Borzois looking for good retirement homes and the owner doesn't want a penny for them. No puppy mill owner is going to want to spend money to buy a supposedly deceased AKC Borzoi; Borzoi are not a puppy mill breed and a dog without papers is even less of a good risk.

Nothing needs to be done with his registration.

Brodee's breeder is a national club member, a small breeder. Brodee was her first home-bred champion. She was specialing him with a handler to get his Grand. All of this is totally normal. She has absolutely nothing to gain by disappearing him and everything to lose. The dog world is very small and everybody knows everybody. Any kind of garbage like that would get you immediately blacklisted and nobody would touch you.

I am terribly sorry for Brodee's death, but please don't suspect anything. There's nothing fishy going on. Just a tragic and common death for a giant breed very prone to bloat.

I agree x three. What the breeder describes sounds like a very likely scenario, as sad as it is. Having helped with a dane that torsioned, I know how fast they can go from fine to "not fine" even when their vet is a five minute drive away. She also died, even with almost instant intervention. So sad for your loss. He was a beautiful being, inside and out.
hit.gif

I agree X4 with blacksheep - coming from many generations of show dog people - i understand all of this - and a friend of mine lost her greyhound in the EXACT same fashion. I am very sorry for your loss!

I also wanted to second blacksheeps comment
"Right this second I could go find you five or ten champion Borzois looking for good retirement homes and the owner doesn't want a penny for them. " As one of my Dachshunds is a retired show dog who was actually specialed and did quite well - she spayed her and was just looking for a nice retirement home for her- ME!

Back
Top Bottom