Broiler chicken found on the highway - advice?

Aug 30, 2020
Eastern Shore VA
On the way home from the hospital this morning, we saw one of those Tyson or Perdue chickens the shoulder of the highway. She must have fallen off a truck. She didn't seem injured, but cold and in shock, and very dirty.
We wrapped her in a jacket and brought her home, set her up in an old laundry basket with some food and water and a heat lamp. She has been resting there since about 10 am, hasn't eaten or drunk anything. She did poop a little bit. She is missing a lot of feathers - maybe she is just molting, or is it something worse?
We are unsure of next steps. She will need a bath. Is it safe to bathe a chicken with so much bare skin? Should we try to tube feed her, or just let her eat when she wants to? We know this type of chicken doesn't live long, we just want to give her a chance at a better life, however short. Even if she doesn't make it, at least she didn't have to die cold and alone on the side of the highway.
Here are some photos. Any advice would be very welcome.

1665006956557.jpeg

1665007016561.jpeg

I would not bathe her now, but wait a few days to see if she lives. Does she seem able to stand and walk? Falling from a truck could have caused broken bones or internal injuries.

I would be careful not to get her too hot, but keep her warm around 75-80 degrees with a thermometer on the floor near her. If she starts panting or holding her wings out or scoots from the lamp, decrease the heat. Those red lamps are very hot, so be careful. Kind of you to try and help her. When chickens are bathed they should be dried with a towel, and blown dry while inside where it is warm.

We have been taking care of one of our own hens, who was attacked by a possum. It was pretty bad and looks kind of like your hen. We cleaned her with a 60cc syringe filled with warm water, patted dry gently and covered the raw and gashed places with Neosoprano. We gave her unflavored pediolyte and temped her to eat with a layer pellet omelet. It has been a while, but she gets better (and more spoiled) every day. We also let her rest a lot by placing a towel over her bin and keeping her in a cool dry area of the house. We also spend time with the towel off the bin and talk to her when we are in her area. I will be happy to answer any questions you have, if I can. Prayers and good luck to you and your new friend.

I would not bathe her now, but wait a few days to see if she lives. Does she seem able to stand and walk? Falling from a truck could have caused broken bones or internal injuries.

I would be careful not to get her too hot, but keep her warm around 75-80 degrees with a thermometer on the floor near her. If she starts panting or holding her wings out or scoots from the lamp, decrease the heat. Those red lamps are very hot, so be careful. Kind of you to try and help her. When chickens are bathed they should be dried with a towel, and blown dry while inside where it is warm.
Well, when I went out to adjust the heat, lo and behold, she had escaped! We found her and put her back in with something heavier over the top. She may be hurt, but she's strong.

We have been taking care of one of our own hens, who was attacked by a possum. It was pretty bad and looks kind of like your hen. We cleaned her with a 60cc syringe filled with warm water, patted dry gently and covered the raw and gashed places with Neosoprano. We gave her unflavored pediolyte and temped her to eat with a layer pellet omelet. It has been a while, but she gets better (and more spoiled) every day. We also let her rest a lot by placing a towel over her bin and keeping her in a cool dry area of the house. We also spend time with the towel off the bin and talk to her when we are in her area. I will be happy to answer any questions you have, if I can. Prayers and good luck to you and your new friend.
Thank you Ursuline Chick. We move the heat lamp higher, it was pretty warm under there. We covered part of the basket with a towel. I made a mash with some all-flock; maybe that will be easier to eat. If not, we can try some wet cat food and see if that is more enticing :)

Thank you for stopping and rescuing her! I can only imagine how many people drove right by and didn't even blink. :(

Broiler chickens are raised in terrible conditions, most of the time. The missing feathers could very well be from her time at the 'farm'.

To give her a longer life, limit the amount she gets to eat. They are usually allowed as much feed as they want to get them big, fast, but that's what causes their hearts to burst and legs to give out. By limiting her food, you're giving her a chance at a more normal life.

I agree that some electrolyte solution should be given for shock. Glad to know she's not in that much shock that she took the chance to escape when it presented itself!

Thank you for stopping and rescuing her! I can only imagine how many people drove right by and didn't even blink. :(

Broiler chickens are raised in terrible conditions, most of the time. The missing feathers could very well be from her time at the 'farm'.

To give her a longer life, limit the amount she gets to eat. They are usually allowed as much feed as they want to get them big, fast, but that's what causes their hearts to burst and legs to give out. By limiting her food, you're giving her a chance at a more normal life.

I agree that some electrolyte solution should be given for shock. Glad to know she's not in that much shock that she took the chance to escape when it presented itself!
Yeah, truckloads of birds on their way to the processing plant are an all to common sight in these parts.
I've read that food should be limited. That could be a challenge if she joins the rest of the flock, as they free feed, but they also have a large run and spend most of their time foraging and scratching for bugs.

Yeah, truckloads of birds on their way to the processing plant are an all to common sight in these parts.
I've read that food should be limited. That could be a challenge if she joins the rest of the flock, as they free feed, but they also have a large run and spend most of their time foraging and scratching for bugs.
That sounds perfect. She'll get exercise having to hunt down her own food, and learn to be a chicken!

I was just reading in another thread about CX that they can actually grow in size faster than their bodies can cover them with feathers. I don't know if that continues into their later days, but that *might* account for her lesser coverage.

Back
Top Bottom