Broiler dead in the night, processing question.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CatsvsDogs, Sep 24, 2010.

1. CatsvsDogs

CatsvsDogs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    NW Washington
    Went out this morning and one of my broilers was dead. This is my first loss so far. It is possible that it has been dead for 10 hrs. Can I still eat it?

I am new with the processing aspect and how long something can be dead and still eaten.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No, I would not eat it.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I would not eat it - I would if I had seen it pass, but with an unknown amount of time - no.

I would still process it but then fix it for dogs/cats or boil and feed back to the chickens (mine love, love chicken).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  4. CatsvsDogs

CatsvsDogs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    NW Washington
    Quote:That is what I needed to hear. This will give me a chance to process my first chicken and feed to the cats.

Cats eat it raw?

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yes some do feed their cats raw (whole chunks or ground) - you could also boil or bake it for the cats. Some cats seem to not like raw at first, might try a small piece with yours first.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  6. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:Yes they can. I feed my cats, dogs and ferrets raw foods only. It is great for them. Though some cats can be picky. You can feed all of the organs, meat, bones even the head and feet too. The only thing I wouldn't feed is the intestines.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Mine love it too!!! Isn't like they are piranhas converging on the chicken [​IMG]

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Throw it away or burn it- it would probably be fine to feed to the cats, but is cat food that expensive? Who knows what it died from, or what's crawling around inside it, bacteria-wise after being dead awhile. Not to mention, a huge waste of time processing it just for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by