Broilers

amy

Hatching
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Can someone please tell me what I want to raise for my meat chickens: males or females??

Both I think. I do the femails a bit early and they are the ones I part up, the peices are a nice size and the breasts are not so thick in the middle you have a time cooking them even. The boys I sometimes leave late and they are the ones I more likely leave whole for roasting. Personally I need more chicken in peices than whole so if I could I'd get more girls but often I just do the straight run.

Okay another dumb question. Will these boiler hen, Cornish X, ever lay and has anyone tried raising their own boilers?
wink.png

They do not lay well, and most will not make it more than a year as they are genetic crosses that are bred to gain huge muscle without much else, so they go into heart failure. I had one cross off a cornish hen that only lasted 2 years too, so the first generation out is not much better.

Thanks April, I suspected as much. Never thought about them having such a short life span, maybe that will make them easier to kill and dress for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom