Broke the intestine while processing. Help

cluckey

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
We butchered our first round of chickens this weekend and I'm worried about busting open the intestine or poop leaking from the vent. On a few birds there was some sort of greenish/brown liquid, a bit textured that either came out of the chicken as we were processing or after gutting it. We did our very best not to rupture things as we were pulling out but i'm worried that we did. We rinsed everything and now the chickens are laying in ice water in the cooler. Are they still safe to eat? Please help. Thanks.

Probably poop.
sickbyc.gif
It can happen, especially if you don't take them off feed for 12 hours prior. If you rinsed them really good then they'll be fine. Rupturing the gall bladder will leave a super green stain and I've heard that can cause a bad taste, but that doesn't sound like what you saw.

Yep, sounds like poop. Gross, but really no biggie. I'm pretty sure anyone who has eaten store bought chicken has had some that had poo on it at some time. Rinse well and you're good to go. Basically like getting poo on your skin. You don't die, you just wash well and do your thing.

congrats on your butchering! and enjoy the fruits of your labor
smile.png

I'm a couple days late, but you can keep a spray bottle of vinegar, spritz the chicken where affected, let sit, and then rinse before putting on ice. That is advice we got from our state inspection agency. In extreme cases for our own chicken we have also used food safe watered down bleach and rinsed after about 30 seconds, technically you shouldn't do this, but ummmmm we do. Poop has texture, bile is insanely green, luckily bile usually gets on the inside of the back which we only use for stock (so we just don't for those chickens) poop can have salmonella, so just don't lick raw chicken ;) which I doubt you were doing anyway. We also cut out areas that bile gets on, it usually stains. Once again, all for chickens we eat ourselves, I wouldn't sell one like that.

I'm a couple days late, but you can keep a spray bottle of vinegar, spritz the chicken where affected, let sit, and then rinse before putting on ice. That is advice we got from our state inspection agency. In extreme cases for our own chicken we have also used food safe watered down bleach and rinsed after about 30 seconds, technically you shouldn't do this, but ummmmm we do. Poop has texture, bile is insanely green, luckily bile usually gets on the inside of the back which we only use for stock (so we just don't for those chickens) poop can have salmonella, so just don't lick raw chicken
wink.png
which I doubt you were doing anyway. We also cut out areas that bile gets on, it usually stains. Once again, all for chickens we eat ourselves, I wouldn't sell one like that.

Spoilsport
lol.png

Spoilsport
lol.png

HAHA. I know right? But you would be amazed at the things I have heard people ask in real life!!! Actually, you probably wouldn't be! I tell people that when selling eggs too, we don't wash them...I expect you to cook them and practice safe refrigeration habits for your gourmet hollandaise and mayo! Somehow everything is "different" when it doesn't come from a grocery store and our customers forget all the rules!

Back
Top Bottom