broken beak tip help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BMD17553

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
please help im nervous as heck my roosters beak is broken at the tip it was bleeding he has what im guessing the soft part left but im nervous he is crowing but im not sure about eating as this just happened please help will he be ok if i leave him alone or do i need to do something else.

please help im nervous as heck my roosters beak is broken at the tip it was bleeding he has what im guessing the soft part left but im nervous he is crowing but im not sure about eating as this just happened please help will he be ok if i leave him alone or do i need to do something else.
Good news is the beak will grow back if broken at the tip,but it is very painful,similar to having your nail ripped off halfway down nail bed. Has the bleeding stopped? He probably will not eat for a day or so due to pain. Make sure he is drinking,might help to give him water that is at room temp or a little warmer. Give him soft foods,try scrambled egg,oatmeal,bananas,cat food,etc. Try adding warm water to his feed so it resembles oatmeal,this may be easier for him to eat. I would bring him inside for awhile just to monitor him and see if he is able to eat.

it is more than just the tip its about a centimeter will it still grow back????????????????

it is more than just the tip its about a centimeter will it still grow back????????????????
That is a good chunk broken off,hard to say it should grow back,but will take some time. To clean any debris off,you can use a sterile saline solution(contact lens solution,preservative free)main concern right now is he able to eat,as this is extremely painful. If he cannot eat or will not b/c of pain,you might need to tube feed him. Try the soft foods,you can also give baby food warm it up a bit(do you know what an exposed nerve feels like in a tooth and how anything cold is extremely painful,this is the reason for warming up food)this is the pain he may be experiencing.

well he still has a beak but its wired it is his beak just not the outer shell does that make sense.

not wired weird typo my bad an i can post a photo tomorrow but i don't have one

311.JPG

636.JPG

its similar to this one i found online

This is what i had assumed you were describing,this will grow back. Watch for infection,you can apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane"toxic to chickens)or vetericyn or aloe vera gel(i keep an aloe vera plant for wound care) My concern for applying anything is bird eating it,so the saline solution might be best or nothing at all as applying anything to beak,will be painful.

Note: neglected to give you the link for the photo you posted.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/repairing-chickens-broken-beak.html

Last edited:
Here is the picture of his beak he got it a little dirty and i cleaned it up after the picture

Back
Top Bottom