Broken Beak

PennyM

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Greenville, SC
Today I was checking my other girls' feet for bumblefoot since I have one that I'm treating and noticed that Chickie (my husband named her Chicken) has a broken beak. It's not broken all the way off but it is separated and sticking up a little. Is there anything I can do for her? I would hate for it to break all the way off. Also, does anyone know what those white things on her comb are? She's had them for quite awhile. They don't move and she doesn't seem bothered with them. Thanks!
IMG_7434.JPG

The white looks to be Favus a Fungal Infection, you can use an anti -fungal (Miconazole or Clotrimazole, Lotrimin, Coconut Oil) for it. As for the broken beak, the black maybe dirt or dried blood, can't make it out. You could try cleaning it a bit with a moist Qtip if she lets you, maybe the adhesive part of a band aid over the crack to try keep anymore dirt getting in which I think is what's causing it to lift. But I'm no expert, hang in there for others with more experience to peep in.

Glad you have your location in your profile, knowing where your located I can try asking for help from those in your time zone ....

@Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick @dawg53 @casportpony

I dont believe that it's Favus on the comb because Favus spreads quickly and is contagious to other birds. Favus also appears "caked-like." However it wouldnt hurt to put miconazole on it if it were some type of fungus, wear disposable gloves when applying it.

As for the cracked beak, I've dealt with it before. Use a q-tip to gently dab betadine on the crack. It'll help prevent infection. Dont try to remove dried blood, you dont want her bleeding again.
Then leave the beak alone, another one will grow under it in time.
As far as eating layer feed, she might not be able to pick up feed with her beak in order to eat. She could starve if she doesnt eat. Also, pecking at food would be painful and she wont eat for that reason as well.

Provide a deep bowl for her to eat out of. Put layer feed in it and add water to make a watery mash. Keep it kind of watery throughout the day for ease of eating. You dont want her trying to eat (pecking) off a hard surface which could further damage the beak. Change the watery feed gruel each day and make it fresh for her to eat.
You'll have to separate her in a cage for quite awhile before she is able to peck feed from a hard surface. I had to cage my hen with a similar crack for almost one month. She was fine afterwards and returned her to the pen.
At about 3 weeks, put a few feed crumbles on a hard surface. If she is able to pick ALL of them up and eat them without dropping them or miss pecking at them, she can be returned to the flock. Ensure she is 100% able to eat normally, I cant emphasize that enough. Good luck.

Thank you, all! I only have one cage big enough and right now I'm using it as a broody breaker. I have a smaller one (used for my Chihuahua) but it's too small for Chickie. Will she be okay until I can go get another cage for her in a day or two? As for the mash if I put it out now everyone will eat it, will they get to used to it?

I went and bought another cage and betadine yesterday and checked her over real good before putting her in. I noticed that the piece of beak was barely hanging on so I took it all the way off. The dark spot looks like dried blood but I'm not sure. The white spots on her comb are very hard to get off so for now I'm leaving it be as she was already quite traumatized. I fixed her the wet food and boy she went to town! She's the lowest in the pecking order and is thinner than the rest of the girls so with her beak problem too, she must have been one hungry girl!

I went and bought another cage and betadine yesterday and checked her over real good before putting her in. I noticed that the piece of beak was barely hanging on so I took it all the way off. The dark spot looks like dried blood but I'm not sure. The white spots on her comb are very hard to get off so for now I'm leaving it be as she was already quite traumatized. I fixed her the wet food and boy she went to town! She's the lowest in the pecking order and is thinner than the rest of the girls so with her beak problem too, she must have been one hungry girl!
I'm glad she is eating!
The gunk in the comb, that will take time to dig out, so I would let her rest and build a bit before tackling that.

Back
Top Bottom