1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken Beak!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamajo, May 3, 2012.

1. mamajo

mamajo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    This afternoon I came home from work and went out to toss my Ladies and their Gent some break crumbs, they really like them. I noticed that one of the ladies wasn't coming to me like they all ususally do. So I looked closer and noticed what looked like blood on her. Her top beak was broken and she was really standoffish. I ran for my husband and when we got back to them, several of the others were pecking at her beak. I don't know how it happened. My chickens are completely secured in their coupe. Nothing can get in or out. Any advise on how to help her eat with no beak? And should I bring her inside until she is healed?

2. chickenchaser99

chickenchaser99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    do you have pics if not how much of her beak was missing

3. Hannah159

Hannah159 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    in here
    My Coop
    chickens beaks are like fingernails. A split or chipped beak will usually regrow, although if the bird is in too much pain to eat you may have to hand-feed her for a few days. If she cant eat the food she normally eats, soak it in water and see if she will eat that.

4. mamajo

Mar 28, 2012
    It looks like it's just the tip of her top beak. I'll run out and get a picture real quick.

5. mamajo

Mar 28, 2012
    It's dark out so the picture isn't very good. [​IMG]
    At least it isn't bleeding anymore. I think maybe that's why the others were pecking at it.

6. chickenchaser99

chickenchaser99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    ok yeah that looks like it might be able to eat on its own still it will grow back if it cant eat do what the others say hope it works out [​IMG]

7. mamajo

Mar 28, 2012
    Thank you everyone for your help and my piece of mind.

8. KBfibers

KBfibers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2016
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    I'm hoping to find some help for a broken break. [​IMG]

9. KBfibers

KBfibers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2016
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Here's a better photo
    [​IMG]

10. Tarin89

Tarin89 New Egg

Apr 5, 2017
    I have a seven-year-old Sussex . Two days ago we noticed she was walking very slow . She has green loose stool and is barely eating . She seems very thin and her right wing is drooping . could it be old age ? What can I do besides electrolytes . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by