Broken Beak!!!!!

mamajo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
This afternoon I came home from work and went out to toss my Ladies and their Gent some break crumbs, they really like them. I noticed that one of the ladies wasn't coming to me like they all ususally do. So I looked closer and noticed what looked like blood on her. Her top beak was broken and she was really standoffish. I ran for my husband and when we got back to them, several of the others were pecking at her beak. I don't know how it happened. My chickens are completely secured in their coupe. Nothing can get in or out. Any advise on how to help her eat with no beak? And should I bring her inside until she is healed?

chickens beaks are like fingernails. A split or chipped beak will usually regrow, although if the bird is in too much pain to eat you may have to hand-feed her for a few days. If she cant eat the food she normally eats, soak it in water and see if she will eat that.

It looks like it's just the tip of her top beak. I'll run out and get a picture real quick.

It's dark out so the picture isn't very good.
At least it isn't bleeding anymore. I think maybe that's why the others were pecking at it.

ok yeah that looks like it might be able to eat on its own still it will grow back if it cant eat do what the others say hope it works out
smile.png

I have a seven-year-old Sussex . Two days ago we noticed she was walking very slow . She has green loose stool and is barely eating . She seems very thin and her right wing is drooping . could it be old age ? What can I do besides electrolytes .

Back
Top Bottom