Broken bottom beak

CuteChick369

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
About a month ago my rooster was attacked by another rooster and his waddles were disconnected from his beak. Vet did surgery to see him up. Eating has been slow, and last several days I've been tube feeding. Today his bottom beak broke (i didn't see how). Has anyone ever fixed this? Or do I need to put him to sleep? Please say it can be fixed, or that he'll learn to not need it!!

I feel maybe the skin that was sewed rotted in that area, weakening the beak.

So, I now think that bottom beak is dead. I have an appointment this afternoon and we will probably put him to sleep. :(

But, if we trimmed the dead part off, could it grow back? He'd either need soft food or tube feed while we wait for new growth. How long would it take?

Anyone with ex batts with severe beak damage, can you give me advice?

Our RIR was attacked by a hawk and lost most of her top and bottom beak. We fed her cat wet food for a few days (which she ate even with most of her beak gone and severe bruising, etc.). The beak has gone through many stages -- scabbing that looks like a new beak growing back, then the scabbing falling off, and now her beak looks much healthier but it's still barely there. She eats her crumble mixed with water so it becomes like a mash. And she's thriving, all things considering. I do not think you need to euthanize a chicken who has had beak damage, unless of course, there are other issues.

Also, some beaks grow back, some do not. I think our chicken's beak is growing back, but at a snail's pace.

Here is a comparison. The photo on the left is from the day we found her (a week after the attack). The right photo is from a couple week ago. About 2 months in between the photos.

Our RIR was attacked by a hawk and lost most of her top and bottom beak. We fed her cat wet food for a few days (which she ate even with most of her beak gone and severe bruising, etc.). The beak has gone through many stages -- scabbing that looks like a new beak growing back, then the scabbing falling off, and now her beak looks much healthier but it's still barely there. She eats her crumble mixed with water so it becomes like a mash. And she's thriving, all things considering. I do not think you need to euthanize a chicken who has had beak damage, unless of course, there are other issues.

X2!

I'd give him a fighting chance if you can. :) See how he does on wet food for a while.

Apply Neosporin to prevent infection and just be sure to keep him hydrated.

You're doing a great job!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom