Broken drywall used for calcium?

rmchickenyard

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 21, 2008
This too is for someone else. I always tell people to use oyster shell for added calcium. One of my customers just told me that broken drywall would do the same for chickens. Yes, you heard it right DRYWALL. I could never promote this because I really don't know enough about it. Has anyone else ever heard of such?? Me personally I am afraid of what chemicals might be lurking. Thanks RM

Isn't dry wall composed mainly of Gypsum? I think I would do some serious research on whether or not Gypsum is a source of calcium and/or other info on chickens consuming Gypsum in potentially large quantities.
My GUESS is you will find it is NOT a good source of calcium.
I COULD BE WRONG

Drywall is typically made from Gypsum.....Gypsum is a Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate compound

Oyster shell is made up of primarily Calcium Carbonate

I'm no chemist (flunked it once in college).....but these are definitely 2 different compounds. I'm guessing the Gypsum would not provide the same "type" of Calcium that Oyster Shell does.

Last edited:
the glue that they use to attach the paper.. I also think that some drywall had a fire retardant in it..
If it is the drywall with blue or green paper on it they put a fungicide in it because it is meant for damp areas..

Chris

Here is what I can find on the web about what drywall is made of. I just worry about the "other chemicals". Being the oyster shell is soo cheap and all why would you risk it. What are your thoughts????

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4896028_what-drywall-made.html
Drywall is made out of gypsum, a word which may not mean much to you. Gypsum itself is made out of the chemical calcium sulfate, a common mineral that occurs naturally in the earth. To form drywall, manufacturers add additional ingredients that make the drywall construction worthy.

http://mokindo.typepad.com/649_6th/2007/01/index.html
limestone, dolomite, or gypsum
water
mica
vinyl acetate polymer
attapulgite

may contain:
talc
pyrophylite

Thanks all for the advice.
smile.png

Back