Broken egg in vent

Kharmon

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2020
Hello!
I noticed this evening that one of our hens has a broken egg in her vent. She has been acting off for a few days and tonight was the first night she let us get a good look. I will post a picture for reference.
What can I do to help her feel better?

Attachments

• 20201218_173630.jpg
    20201218_173630.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 39
I would try lubing the area up well with something like mineral oil, coconut oil, or an ointment like Neosporin. If the shell feels loose, you could gently try teasing it out, but you have to be careful as excessive pressure could cause a prolapse. Try to keep her in a warm, humidified area, and offer sugar water or an electrolyte to keep her hydrated. Soaking her rear in a warm Epsom salt bath may help too. Crushing up a tums, or administering her calcium gluconate may help her with expelling the egg shell.

I would try lubing the area up well with something like mineral oil, coconut oil, or an ointment like Neosporin. If the shell feels loose, you could gently try teasing it out, but you have to be careful as excessive pressure could cause a prolapse. Try to keep her in a warm, humidified area, and offer sugar water or an electrolyte to keep her hydrated. Soaking her rear in a warm Epsom salt bath may help too. Crushing up a tums, or administering her calcium gluconate may help her with expelling the egg shell.
Thank you very much! We will definitely try! Shes only about 10 months old. :(

Thank you very much! We will definitely try! Shes only about 10 months old. :(

Being ten months old actually predisposes her to develop such a problem since new layers/younger birds often have "glitches" in their reproductive system, and may lay funky eggs occasionally, until they get everything sorted out. On occasions, the shell may break inside the oviduct, and whether they are able to expel it on their own will vary with each bird. Keep us posted on how she does, best of luck.

Being ten months old actually predisposes her to develop such a problem since new layers/younger birds often have "glitches" in their reproductive system, and may lay funky eggs occasionally, until they get everything sorted out. On occasions, the shell may break inside the oviduct, and whether they are able to expel it on their own will vary with each bird. Keep us posted on how she does, best of luck.
Thank you so much! Ill give her an Epsom salt bath and see how that works and try your other suggestions. Im hoping she is okay after this. She definitely hasn't been acting herself and hasn't been with the others as much.

Back
Top Bottom