Broken egg maybe in hen?

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
I found half of a very small egg in the nest box. I am thinking if someone ate it they would have eaten the yolk not half of the shell. I have no idea who had the problem. I checked them all and nothing seems unusual. How much trouble could my girl be in? The yolk for the most part seemed out and some white was there in the box. What symptoms should I be looking for? They are eating purina layer ,egg shells and oyster shells offered. I have some 12 months old and some are 9 months old.

What it a shell-less or soft shelled egg? Could it have been stepped on?
If one of the hens starts to self isolate or act lethargic or have a penguin stance, she is not feeling well. Do a night vent check of the flock after they've gone to roost. Using a head lamp keeps your hands free to pick them up and move them if they aren't in a good position to examine.

No it was a regular shell. I am hanging out in the run today. No free range time. I bought the guys those headlight clip ons for x mas so the hunt is on! That will be on the mothers day list for me. If they turn out ok at least I got a great tip thanks dobie lover.

Back
Top Bottom