Broken egg not fully laid - vet visit today - are we on the right track?

Bostonburbs

Chirping
May 16, 2019
Westford, MA
My 18 month golden comet came out of the run today with a shattered egg dripping from her vent. The shell seemed intact - almost as if it just “unraveled” - and I seemed to be able to gently remove the rest of it.

I can’t remember when she last laid...within a week....but all of my hens have been slowing down over the past two weeks.

When she seemed not herself and sort of lethargic, I brought her to the vet. The vet did not do x-rays, but said that she seemed to be doing well. She prescribed an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. I have given her one dose of each. The vet said there was egg white in her poop when she was in the office.

She is pooping, but I just went out to check on them for the night, and found her sleeping in the nesting box. She has still been sitting in the nesting box quite a bit this afternoon. She has had some water.

I just left her out of the nesting box to check on her and see if she would drink a little more water, but she did not. She did have this very strange poop before going back in for the night.

My question is....Are we on the right track and she just needs to rest? (Crossing my fingers.) Or is this sounding like it’s more than the vet thought?

Attachments

• E76BC34F-26C1-4E7F-B288-766B7EF18772.jpeg
    E76BC34F-26C1-4E7F-B288-766B7EF18772.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 7
I would really try to get some fluids into her. How does her crop feel? She has a lot of white urates in her poop which can mean dehydration. There could be more albumen in the droppings, but it might be mucus. Hens who lay soft shelled eggs or have eggs break inside may feel very wiped out. If you have Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes, I would try to give some. You may need to hold a spoon or dropper up to the side of her beak and drip some in. I first would hold a scoop or small cup up to her beak. Watery wet chicken feed and bits of scrambled egg would be good to offer as well. I would give a half of a calcium tablet to her for several days. That can help firm up egg shells, unless their is a problem with her shell gland.

I brought her to the vet. The vet did not do x-rays, but said that she seemed to be doing well. She prescribed an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. I have given her one dose of each. The vet said there was egg white in her poop when she was in the office.
She is pooping, but I just went out to check on them for the night, and found her sleeping in the nesting box. She has still been sitting in the nesting box quite a bit this afternoon. She has had some water.

I just left her out of the nesting box to check on her and see if she would drink a little more water, but she did not. She did have this very strange poop before going back in for the night.
shattered egg dripping from her vent. The shell seemed intact - almost as if it just “unraveled” - and I seemed to be able to gently remove the rest of it.
Good suggestions from @Eggcessive
Sounds like she may have had egg leak from the membrane you pulled out if egg was dripping from the vent. This can make them feel bad.
Hopefully the medications prescribed will take care of any infection and make her more comfortable. I agree with keeping her hydrated and giving extra calcium for a few days to see if that helps as well.
Keep us posted on how she's doing?

It doesn't sound like the vet did a very good job of checking her put, I think if she has egg whites in her poop, then the egg may have broken inside her, and that could be an issue. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare
What else do you suggest the vet do?

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I went to bed regretting that I hadn’t done more in the evening before they all went in for the night.

Thankful to find she was one of the first to be up and around out of the coop this morning. Poop looked more normal than last night. We will give her some TLC today with your suggestions of calcium and scrambled eggs and hydration. Thank you all - grateful for this community!

PS - The vet did offer xrays if we wanted, but felt like the medicines might kick in and be the solution to it all. As we already had to take an “emergency” time slot, I thought my husband might kill me if we tacked on more $$$.....$4 chickens can really add up :)

Back
Top Bottom