Broken Eggs 35% of the Time - WHY?

TriciaChickens

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2019
Hoping that some insight can come from this knowledgeable group! I have a small (2 girls ) flock. One is a New Hampshire Red and the other is an Ameraucana. About 35% of the NHR eggs are broken. I don’t think she is pecking them since there is lots of yolk. I also have porcelain eggs in the nesting boxes to discourage that behavior. The eggs from the Ameraucana are fine 100% of the time.

Diet includes oyster shell in a bowl to eat as they wish. And feed is Modesto Mills Whole Grain Layer. The label on the food says there is between 2.7 – 3.6% calcium. I also feed them some cottage cheese mixed with yogurt once per week.

I wonder if the NHR is too heavy for her eggs….. Any other thoughts or suggestions on what to do?

.... I also have porcelain eggs in the nesting boxes to discourage that behavior.

Is it possible that the real eggs are hitting the porcelain ones? Might take them out for a bit to see if that's the issue .... also I have some light weight plastic eggs I use for that purpose, seems to work fine.

I also used the plastic Easter eggs, the kind that you take apart and put candy into, instead of the porcelain ones. Could you add some more hay or shavings to your nest boxes so the eggs have some cushioning? Once I was confident that no one was interested in eating eggs, I removed the plastic ones.

So they are broken, but not eaten?
Is the shell thin and fragile?

With whole and cracked grain feeds the premix fines(vitamins/minerals/amino acids) will sift to bottom of feeder so they don't get to eat enough of those essentials. Birds can also pick and choose the 'candy' out and leave the rest, resulting in low nutrition consumed.
Any other 'treats' given?
Not sure how digestible the yogurt and cheese are(@ChickenCanoe ?) .

Back
Top Bottom