Broken eggs

khowell31875

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
My girls have finally started laying in the coop and not in the woods. But now atleast one egg a day is broken. The shells on some eggs seem to be thinner than others. They are free range and also hava access to a feeder. Is their diet lacking something or is this normal?

If the shells are thin, they need more calcium. Are you feeding them Layena or another brand of layer feed? If not, you need to make oyster shell available in a separate dish. It's cheap, lasts a long time, and most feed stores carry it.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

I bought some hard shell from the co op in town, think its about the same as oyster shell. supposed to harden the shells, I just mix it with the layer pellets, DE and hardshell and pour in feeder. My hens stay in the run untill about noon then I turn them out to free range. marrie

There are a couple of ways to give the calcium. The oyster shells are easy, free=feed them in a small dish. You can also recycle egg shells, bake them at 300 F for 20 to 30 minutes and then crush them up fine and feed them back to the hens. You can also feed TUMS, 1 or 2 in an emergency. Also, offer them grit if you don't already, they need it for their "teeth". Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom