Broken eggshell in vent. Please help!

tdarr4131

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting to the site. I am a new and VERY inexperienced chicken mom that needs some advice. My chicken laid a normal egg this morning (she lays almost everyday and I’ve never gotten a weird or soft egg). This afternoon I noticed she had an eggshell hanging from her bottom and when I tried to pull it out it wouldn’t come out easily. It was a hard normal feeling shell, not soft. She was eventually able to get it out but all afternoon she kept squatting like she was trying to poop or lay an egg. Nothing ever came out but a little bit of yellowish white liquid. She’s still eating and drinking but not quite acting herself. Ive been searching the forums but I’m not sure what I need to do. I’m worried it may turn into peritonitis. Most answers I saw suggested either an epsom soak or a white vinegar soak or flush but I don’t know which one would be best. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get my hands on any antibiotic because I’m not sure we have a “chicken doctor” in town. Also, is there a reason why she would she lay a normal egg this morning and lay another eggshell this afternoon?
I’m sorry if this post is a little long winded, I’m just very worried about my chicken. She found my yard a few months ago after a bad storm and never left so now she’s part of the family and I hate to see her not acting herself. Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Mine had a hiccup she laid a softie and then 4 hrs later lays regular egg. It happens. Perhaps it should of been a double yolker.
The epson salt soaks will help. I don’t know how much of the shell you were able to get. Sounds like she’s squatting and trying too pass the rest of it. The soaks will truly help her. You could do it daily for a minimum of 20 minutes. She probably will love the soaks and not want to get out of the tub. Try to find a container that is as tall as she is when she lays down. I have a foot soak tub that’s a good size.
You could give her some oil. What ever you have on hand. Canola, olive, coconut. I don’t like to feed bread but that’s what I’d put it on just because they love it and it absorbs. Pushing a soft oily stool could help in eliminating shell pieces.
Be sure to get her good and dry after her soaks. Using a blow dryer is quick and easy. You do not want to leave her wet or damp. Keep her in a dark quiet place if you can someplace warm would be good too.
Don’t get overwhelmed. You can do it. Go slow and calm with her relax and she’ll relax. You’ve got time to help her. Best wishes

I don’t think it will turn into peritonitis, but it could turn into salpingitis. Was there any blood? She may have scratched/cut herself internally and may need an antibiotic at some point. Right now I suspect she is sore, plus it probably drained her pushing out a cracked egg. Rest and TLC would be good right now.

So far I haven’t noticed any blood just a small amount yellowish white liquid.

Back
Top Bottom