1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken femur

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbblack, May 22, 2017.

1. jbblack

jbblack Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Carmichael, CA
    My Coop
    Hi all,
    Eva our Golden Wyandotte flew from the top of the nesting area and crash landed. She broke her femur. It is not compound and we have splinted it. She still will not move around. We have her in a dog crate in the office, with food and water. She is eating and drinking a bit, but mostly lays still. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jeff eva.JPG

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Hi! It's Wicked's Twin Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  3. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Many times birds will not try to put weight on a broken leg.
    The chicken sling is a very good idea, as KikisGirls gave you in the link above. She may be more comfortable in a sling, just make sure she can reach food and water.
    For splinting, you should cushion the leg with gauze pads to prevent whatever splinting materials you use from scratching or abrading the leg. Using vetwrap over all is better than tape (I can't tell in picture what materials you used) as you don't have to worry about sticking. Be very careful to watch for swelling, and don't wrap too tight. If it's too tight and the leg swells, you could lose circulation to the lower leg.
    Some breaks will heal fine, and others, usually high on the leg, will require pins inserted surgically to heal correctly. Best of luck.

KikisGirls likes this.
  4. jbblack

Sep 27, 2015
    Carmichael, CA
    My Coop
  5. jbblack

Sep 27, 2015
    Carmichael, CA
    My Coop
    No vet trip. Love the girls, but too spendy for us. I will try the vitamins. The sling may work, thanks.

KikisGirls likes this.
  6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    KikisGirls and jbblack like this.
  7. jbblack

Sep 27, 2015
    Carmichael, CA
    My Coop
  8. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  9. jbblack

Sep 27, 2015
    Carmichael, CA
    My Coop
    Thank you, a lot of great information.

KikisGirls likes this.
  10. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    You can also tape some brown paper bags (from a grocery store) or something similar around the bottom of your cage to help keep the shavings inside and not all over the house. (less cleaning up)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by