Broken foot or leg? Heelp

IvyHybrid16

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
I got a new hen recently and as if introducing her to the girls hasn't been stress enough, she's hurt herself but I don't know whether it's leg or foot. She limps heavily and doesn't want to bear weight. The top of her foot and bottom of leg is swollen and is also hot to the touch. Is it normal for her spur area to be swollen if she's hurt her toe? What should I do? Much appreciated
1f62c.png

Could you post a picture of the leg? It's possible that she broke it, or sprained/strained it badly. Also, check to make sure that there is not wire or string wrapped around the leg, as this could cause swelling. Look at the bottoms of the feet too. Is there any black scab? This might mean bumblefoot, if there was one.

Keep her isolated in a deep bedded cage or pen. Give her a very low roost, or no roost at all. To help her get over the stress, give her electrolytes and probiotics, if you have them.

If you can post pictures, it will be helpful.

Please keep us updated!

She's already on her own, only had her 4 days, she's still in the introduction coop where the other hens can see but not peck her. Will post first thing in the morning pictures of her leg, she's asleep the now

Last edited:
Here's her legs, it's not the best photo I know but she wasn't for coming out this morning, the one in the front is the uninjured one

The closest toe on that foot looks broken but I'm not sure it's just the toe because she really doesn't want to bear weight on it and her 'ankle' is a bit swollen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom