Single swollen leg (lower shank), head shaking, pale comb

so_fancy_af

Chirping
Jan 6, 2021
Southern New Hampshire
My speckled Sussex Beebee has been looking worse and worse. Her comb has been pale for a while, but she's been molting. Now, though, one of her legs is swollen and she has that sick, hunched over look. She's starting to shake her head every few seconds when she's standing still, and every now and again she stretches the swollen leg behind her. She's not limping. It's not bumblefoot, she has no injury on the bottom of her foot or between her toes, only a very slight scratch on her leg. I don't believe it's scaly leg mites; her skin looks good, just swollen. The bottom of her foot was squishy, but stupidly I didn't feel the swollen area as she was majorly upset when I picked her up. Three days ago I started them on Tetratex. I thought gout, but it's only one side. Maybe MS? She was eating and drinking as of yesterday, but today I got home too late to see what's up. She looks so uncomfortable. I'm worried. I've included a video of her. At :14 you can see the head shake, :25 the leg stretch. Best view of the swollen leg is :28. It's her left leg when she's facing me. At :42 you can see the bottom of her foot and the way her leg is trembling. So sad...

ETA: She's 1.5 years old, hasn't been laying recently because of molt (none of the ladies have been), and she's one of four in her flock.

Last edited:
Can you get pictures of both of the legs in the morning? Is there any green swelling on the leg, and is the scratch near the swelling? It could be a sprain or injury. Has anyone started picking on her when she limps?

I’ll get a better picture of both legs in the morning. I don’t recall a green tinge to the swelling. The scratch is near the swelling, farther up the shank. You can sort of see it in this photo…it looks a little brown, but I think that’s bad photo, not reality. She’s not truly limping, either. She walks fine, although not as much, but then occasionally does the leg stretch. The other girls aren’t picking on her yet; two are super molting and very gentle. The other one is a brat but so far is leaving her alone.
IMG_5498.png

Last edited:
She was still on the roost this morning when I went to go check on her and it’s obvious she wasn't super keen on getting down, but she did and her affect seems a little better, even if she still looks terrible. She ate and drank and when I let them out she came right out. It looks like maybe her other leg has started to swell a bit too though? I can’t tell. The left one looks so awful.
IMG_5513.jpeg
IMG_5505.jpeg
IMG_5509.jpeg

Thank you so much for your help and time. I think her hocks are a little swollen as well. MS is seeming the most likely at this point. I already have everyone on tetracycline, which MS seems to be sensitive to, according to the white papers I've read. I've never used antibiotics with this flock before so fingers crossed it works. Do you have any experience with using tea tree oil in place of antibiotics? I found this paper on the subject.

I have a 3 yr old speckled Sussex hen with the same swollen ankle condition. Both her ankles are affected. I am assuming MS. I just ordered Enrofloxacin 10% pills for her. (I don’t know how much to give tho.).

Thank you so much for your help and time. I think her hocks are a little swollen as well. MS is seeming the most likely at this point. I already have everyone on tetracycline, which MS seems to be sensitive to, according to the white papers I've read. I've never used antibiotics with this flock before so fingers crossed it works. Do you have any experience with using tea tree oil in place of antibiotics? I found this paper on the subject.
It would be worth a try to use the Tea Tree Oil at the dosage they recommend. Most antibiotics do not reverse or have that much affect on MS for the most part. You could have the diagnosis confirmed possibly through your state vet lab, or privately through a lab called Zoologix in California.

I have a 3 yr old speckled Sussex hen with the same swollen ankle condition. Both her ankles are affected. I am assuming MS. I just ordered Enrofloxacin 10% pills for her. (I don’t know how much to give tho.).
I know the dosage for the 10% liquid. It is 0.05 ml per pound of weight, or 0.3 ml for a six pound chicken given orally twice a day for 5 days. Most pharmacies will supply a 1 ml needle-less syringe free. But for the tablets, I am having a hard time finding that dosage.

Back
Top Bottom