Broken leg? arthritis? Some disease?

Kacey I15

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2015
My hen has suddenly started limping but it has been cold here the past couple of days like 20-40 degrees. I picked her up and moved her leg around and she didn't act like anything was wrong but when I set her down she continued to limp so i don't know maybe arthritis?

How old is she? What breed? Have you had her long? What are you feeding? What are your coop and roosts like? Does she have any sores or swellings? There are some diseases that cause lameness (Mycoplasma synoviea, Mareks, infectious tenosynovitis). Hopefully it's just a sprain or strain. But any other info you can provide will be more helpful for finding a solution.

How old is she? What breed? Have you had her long? What are you feeding? What are your coop and roosts like? Does she have any sores or swellings? There are some diseases that cause lameness (Mycoplasma synoviea, Mareks, infectious tenosynovitis). Hopefully it's just a sprain or strain. But any other info you can provide will be more helpful for finding a solution. 

I believe she is a road island red We feed her layer pelts and chicken scratch, she is a little over a year old and we've had her whole life.

I believe she is a road island red We feed her layer pelts and chicken scratch, she is a little over a year old and we've had her whole life.

I didn't notice any sores or anything I pushed on her foot and she didn't seem uncomfortable

If you find no evidence of trauma, swelling, scabs, it would be a good idea to read up on those diseases I mentioned previously, and watch for other symptoms. I would not think it would be arthritis at her age,

If you find no evidence of trauma, swelling, scabs, it would be a good idea to read up on those diseases I mentioned previously, and watch for other symptoms. I would not think it would be arthritis at her age, 

Okay thank you I will read up on it and well I was just thinking maybe sense it was so cold

Back
Top Bottom