Broken leg baby duck

heideraa

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
I have a 3 week old duckling with a broken leg. It's leg is completely limp. It seems like its broke straight to the top. My boyfriend wants to just leave it outside with the rest of the duckings and let life take its course and see if it lives. Is there anyway I can help him or should I just leave it and see what happens????

I have a 3 week old duckling with a broken leg. It's leg is completely limp. It seems like its broke straight to the top. My boyfriend wants to just leave it outside with the rest of the duckings and let life take its course and see if it lives. Is there anyway I can help him or should I just leave it and see what happens????
Short of a vet visit, I really don't know other than supportive care and keeping it contained where it doesn't have to use it's leg till it begins to heal. No guarantee there won't be problems not being set though, sorry this has happened, More than likely if you leave it with the rest it will get stepped on and be in pain.

Well I will most likely try and take to the vet. Have you ever taken a duck to the vet before? And do you know about how expensive a visit would be just a general estimate.

Well I will most likely try and take to the vet. Have you ever taken a duck to the vet before? And do you know about how expensive a visit would be just a general estimate.
I have not had to take a duck to the vet, most likely they will want to do an xray to determine where it's broken and how bad, then you'll have decision to make on whether you want to proceed with having it fixed which may mean surgery, but if they feel it can't be fixed or you can't afford it they can put it to sleep for you humanely which would be a good thing .so the duckling won't be suffering. .I would love to tell you everything will be fine and it won't be expensive but I can't. You'll have to decide what you want to do, But either way I don't think I'd keep him with the rest of the ducklings with a broken leg. Hoping the best.
fl.gif

Vet costs are all over the place, so it's hard to guess. I have taken ducks to the vet, and I consider it education money for me, so that when I cannot afford it, I might have learned something from a vet visit that I can use to help the duck.

If there is a vet school anywhere around you, or a wildlife rehabilitator who is patient and might be able to help you, those are other possible sources of help.

Back
Top Bottom