Broken leg/chicken sling

That's the thing I have no idea where it's broken.. this is all just me guessing....but him flopping in his side when I try to stand him up worries me....

I wish I had some pictures of the type of wrap I'm thinking about... Basically you would tape his leg to his body in the position it would be in if he was sleeping. Make sense?

Ok so I took a strip of t-shirt and tied it in front of his left leg diagonal across his back so it goes behind his bad leg and folded his leg up and tied the shirt up holding his leg to his body....i also kept him slung but lowered it so he's laying on the cage bottom to give his other leg and belly some relief from hanging the last few days....gosh I hope I can figure out something that works...i know at this point the odds aren't good

Very interesting...how is she doing? One of my new layers was bullied by an over aggressive hen...I have no idea how, but one of her legs is unusable (in addition to a big chunk bitten out of her comb). The skin isn't broken and I don't think the leg is actually broken, perhaps dislocated. She tries to take a step, and immediately sits back down. She is eating, and laying. We have her in the house so she is safe. I may try this approach if in a few more days she doesn't seem to improve so your input is appreciated.

Maybe the wrap is known as stockinette? I will look for a pic...

51-Q-bfJtVL._SX522_.jpg

I got this tubing from amazon, nice and stretchy, I got the four inch size. Just in case. You can cut relevant holes in it easily. Is this it, @casportpony ? I saw another user here use it to amazing effect on a large hen wound from rooster...kept bandages in place etc. So not my original idea.

And just my two cents but given the OP's concern, I would sure get an xray soon, cause this is so mysterious...can't be that expensive at a vets?

Last edited:
we ended up putting him down, after watching him closely it was pretty clear that even his good leg was having issues and his bad leg was still ice cold so there was no blood flow getting to it. i think there was an issue with nerves or even his hip/pelvis

Thanks. We spent the morning Petting him and spoiling him with treats and then my husband culled him....

Back
Top Bottom