Broken leg on duck

suerose45

Hatching
Apr 4, 2015
Help my very vocal 3 year old Peking named Tricia hurt her leg about a week ago. I'm not sure if it is broken or not but it is swollen and she can't walk on it. I don't even know how to tell if it's broken and none of the vets around me treat fowl. I read to leave her alone and it should heal itself but nothing has changed. How do I tell if it is broken or not and what can I do to treat it?

A vet would really be best. If you can contact a rehabber that might get you some help.

As best as I can recall, feeling the leg all the way up to the body and comparing it to the other leg should let you know if it is broken.

Aside from that, letting her float as much as possible in a tub of lukewarm water should help. Epsom salt compresses twice a day should help also.

If it is broken, I would make a hammock for her to sit in to take weight off the leg. Make sure her vent is not covered so she can poop.

edit to add - Epsom salt is a laxative - don't put it in her bath water since ducks drink the bathwater. Just soak a clean cloth in Epsom salt water (lukewarm) and wrap that around the leg and the foot and keep it on as long as she will let you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom