Broken leg too high to splint any advise

Dottielottie

Hatching
Feb 4, 2019
Hi all, I’m new, please bare with, my sons favourite chicken, Crash, has broken her leg really high up, too high for bandages or splints, she is on pain relief and puppy crate rest, and we have our fingers crossed, she is fairly bright considering but I was wondering if anyone has had this before and what advice they could offer, she is just about one years old and a Rhode Island Red, common to some but she means the world to my 4 year old son who wanted to show her this summer, but I don’t think that’s going to happen now unless they have a most loved chicken class, so any advice would be really great including diet, bedding etc.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BYC. Meloxicam or aspirin is good for inflammation and pain. Is a vet available to get an xray? Sprains are ver common, but it could be broken or she might have a dislocation. A chicken sling with her legs not touching the floor might be helpful. They are made out of a piece of cloth with 2 holes for legs and 1 poop hole in the back. Food and water cups may be placed in front. Here are some good pictures and avideo of homemade slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Agree with getting an x-ray if that is doable for you. I'm going to attach a document that shows how to examine for and splint all kinds of fractures, it shows wild/song birds, but all the anatomy is the same. I know you said it's too high to splint but this info might help, there is a lot here. High femur fractures may require surgery and pins to heal, so assessment by a vet may be your best option. With rest she should improve if it's just a sprain. If it is a fracture and you are going to try on your own I would try to splint if possible and use the chicken sling as well. Wishing you luck with her.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Thank you for the reply’s, I took her to the vet this morning and she said her thigh felt crunchy, and gave her some pain relief, and some to give her every day, and to see how she gets on over a week but that it’s most likely a break and to let her heal on her own.
Would a sling be painful for her, or would I put it on for some of the day or all of it??

Since I can't see the break I can't really answer that. If the sling takes the weight off the leg and doesn't put pressure on the break it should help, but if the sling puts pressure on the break or moves it out of alignment that would be counter productive. Most of the time they are in the sling for periods during the day and out the rest, but it's a judgement call based on how the bird is doing and how they take to the sling (some may freak out and hurt themselves worse). Also how well you can put her in and out without hurting the leg. You may be able to devise a system of some support for her by strategically placing rolled up bath towels around or under her, I have done that sometimes so they can stay upright without having to use legs or feet.

Hello again, it’s been just over two weeks since the break which the vet felt was around the joint of her thigh, I decided not to use a sling as she’s a bit too fierce, her feet look good and she moves all toes perfectly but she has a limp, I’m not sure if keeping her isolated will improve this any more, how long should I leave her before thinking about getting her back with the other hens (3), I don’t want them to bully her and I don’t want to put her back too soon and risk her poor leg???? Any advice would be really appreciated, tia .

It can take 3 or more weeks for a fracture to heal. A thickening of the bone ( callus) should be present when the bones have fused. I would be cautious and keep her separated, but you can do that with her in a dog crate with food and water inside the coop.

It can take 3 or more weeks for a fracture to heal. A thickening of the bone ( callus) should be present when the bones have fused. I would be cautious and keep her separated, but you can do that with her in a dog crate with food and water inside the coop.
Thank you so much for that I’ll definitely do that, I feel better knowing that I’ll be doing the best for her .

Back
Top Bottom