Broken Leg

Ocalagrimes

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2018
IMG_01481.jpg

Hi!! I was very active on BYC a fee years ago, I could nin retrieve my login info, anyway, I'm back.
This a rad of a hens broken leg.( I am lucky and my horse vet was kind enough to take this digital x-ray for me.
It's been splinted.
Here s the really bad part. This hen is a CCLB, 3 years old. The other leg was broken as a chick. She has managed quite well, can't scratch but has been a happy healthy chicken.
With this, she is completely immobile.
She is eating, drinking, pooping.
Has anyone dealt with something like this with success?

Can you make her a body sling? What others might call a "chick chair" - kind of like one of those things you put (human) babies in so it holds them up while they scoot around with their legs? Be sure to leave a hole for poo - and of course have food/water available - some use like yogurt dishes and rubber band them to the sling set-up.

I haven't had to do this yet, but I did have the random (and slightly humorous) thought that women's underwear might work well for this- if folded over and secured over something wide enough to contain her body, and support her weight without putting weight on the healing leg.

:welcome
Welcome back to BYC! I've never seen an X-Ray of a chicken before. Sorry about your chicken, but that is cool to see a X-Ray of a chicken leg.
I had a Guinea hen who broke his wing a few years ago. Maybe you should ask your vet to put your hen's leg back in place, then make some type of sling were your hen can't touch the ground till it's leg heals. I think it takes 6 weeks for a bone to heal on a chicken.

Thank you!! Any ideas on anti biot
:welcome
Welcome back to BYC! I've never seen an X-Ray of a chicken before. Sorry about your chicken, but that is cool to see a X-Ray of a chicken leg.
I had a Guinea hen who broke his wing a few years ago. Maybe you should ask your vet to put your hen's leg back in place, then make some type of sling were your hen can't touch the ground till it's leg heals. I think it takes 6 weeks for a bone to heal on a chicken.
We took some other views as well. At first is was suspected the spine or ribs were broken. One view showed an egg! Which was laid 5 mins later..
Unfortunately this vet is a busy busy horse vet. A great vet but she wasn't comfortable with manipulation to align the fractures.

Attachments

• IMG_20180605_184309.jpg
    IMG_20180605_184309.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 4
Thank you!! Any ideas on anti biot

We took some other views as well. At first is was suspected the spine or ribs were broken. One view showed an egg! Which was laid 5 mins later..
Unfortunately this vet is a busy busy horse vet. A great vet but she wasn't comfortable with manipulation to align the fractures.
And now that I really look at the picture, the bone is very displaced.

Back
Top Bottom