Broken leg

vdietz

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2020
I think one of my 7 week old easter eggers has a broken femur. My husband found her not using her leg a couple days ago. We have isolated her. She was definitely in pain so I had not really pushed moving and inspecting her leg until last night and today. She does seem to be more comfortable and we have been giving her aspirin twice a day. She will set her food down when she is standing but holds it up and hops on one leg to move around. I am at a loss as to what to do. I think that the bones are not aligned to which I fear we have no hope of any healing. What to do?

Pictures but hard to tell anything.

Attachments

• 20200402_192310.jpg
    20200402_192310.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200402_190853.jpg
    20200402_190853.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 4
So sorry for your chick! Will she try to move her toes at all,like curl them and straighten them out? I would get her on some paper towels or puppy pads to get her good footing,shavings can be slick. Keep her area small to help keep movement down to a low level. If you can try to feel along the bones,it might hurt her some but if you can find a break it might need to be braced. If you can't find a break it might be sprained badly. Rest,aspirin and time. :fl

She will move her toes some. It is not aligned so I am sure it is broken or dislocated. However I am pretty sure the end is sharp so....broken. If it isn't aligned is there any hope it will heal to be funtional?

If it is not aligned then it probably won't heal well. Can you move it so its close and set it there with some vet wrap? I had one that broke her leg but it was in line and I just gave her rest in a small cage,but it took a long time to heal.

If a vet is not an option you will have a special needs chicken,I have a few and really enjoy them. Maybe just try to keep her as quiet as possible then light exercise until healed. Homemade wheelchair might help.

Back
Top Bottom