Broken leg!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by davony's chicks, Jun 12, 2010.

1. davony's chicks

davony's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    I went to a local sale today and bought 2 blue cochin hens. The guys moving those cages around are not very easy on them and I have made comments many times about them injuring the chickens legs.... Well one of these girls I bought must have has her leg through one of the holes in cage when it was slammed downed because it is broken!

My question is.. Can broken chicken leg heal or will it always be useless to her???

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    It could heal if not too badly smashed and you can reduce the fracture (put it back in normal position as best you can) and put a good splint on it (popsicle sticks, white medical tape & vetwrap/coflex bandage. Keep it on for 6 weeks. Give her feed w/extra calcium. 0.1cc Banamine IM will help with the pain. Once a day or every other day. You can get some from your vet. [​IMG]

3. davony's chicks

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    Thank you Fattie!!
    I knew I could count on a friendly BYC'er to help out. I will try that.

4. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I was a vet tech for 10 years. Saves me a lot of vet bills. [​IMG]

5. ghd

ghd New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    Hello~ One of our girls broke her leg after a coop escape attempt when she was a few months old. I used some gauze for padding and a tampon applicator as a cast (perfect fit!) and she was doing just fine in about 3 weeks! Good luck!

6. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Oh- almost forgot- may sound funny but a condom over the splint will keep the leg clean & dry. Use rubber bands to keep it on. [​IMG]

7. davony's chicks

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    Very creative! [​IMG] Thanks for the help!

8. Jacki

Jacki New Egg

May 8, 2010
    I got a chick from the store free because it has a possible broken leg and curled toes. Is there any hope for it and what can I do to help him get better. I already took cardboard and put on feet but still wont use leg. take any help you can give.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    A broken leg must be properly splinted, and he can't use it until it heals. It hurts, ya know? Give it time to heal. It should heal fairly soon in a baby chick. Give it a few weeks.

10. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My 3 week old chick just got his leg broken when his mom knocked a board down that was (poorly) attached over the door, and it squashed him. I found him this evening, completely under the board, and his leg is very broken, but no broken skin... i clipped the feathers around his leg, and splinted it with a cardboard applicator (cut to fit), and vet wrapped it in a straight position.. then tried to vetwrap the foot a little bit bent, so he's touching the sole of his foot to the ground... I'm very concerned... is there anything more i can do? He ate chick feed when I set him by the feeder, but didn't want to drink...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by