Broken leg???

warsawffagurl

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Warsaw, IN
okay.. so i noticed two of my pullets didnt come out when i opened our shed...
and i found them squeezed between two of our rabbit cages, one on top of the other.
The top one was fine...
the other one not so much...
i put her on the ground and she limped...
she isnt using her left leg, and it just hangs pretty limply...
do you think its broken?
what should i do?
I have seperated her and she's inside right now in the air conditioning, in a dog crate/carrier with some shavings to lay on... she's got food and water...
HELP me please!
here's a picture of her:
2825543537_509c9b8074.jpg

thanks,
Jennifer See

how is she doing?

when you felt her leg did it feel like there was anything "crunchy" (sorry i know its graphic but its the best way to describe it)

You could splint it. that would probably work. I had a baby chick that I thought for sure was a goner it was so bad. It had a dislocated hip or broken upper leg or I am not sure what. Well I splinted it and hand fed it and after quite a while, about three weeks it is better and I can hardly tell the difference between that one and the others. I just put a little stick in there and some gauze and some tape to hold it tight. And believe me the chick was not happy at all. It didnt start acting 'all right' till 2 weeks later.

What tiki244 said sounds good. To me, it looks more like a soft tissue injury, but you can't tell for sure from a pic. In fact, it would be hard to tell in person. The splint tiki244 described seems like it would provide enough stability for a break, and enough mobility for a sprain? Hope the little girl will be okay.

okay guys...
i felt all of her leg and by the hip...
no break...
so she probably did have some soft tissue damage...
we tried to splint it but she seemed to do better without it.
she's eating well, but her poo is a little runny and yellow...
any other suggestions???
thanks everyone!

is her leg warm (like the good one) or is it cold? If it is cold, then it has no circulation and there is a broken bone. Good luck, poor chickie!

her legs are both warm...
and the scrambled eggs sound good...
She's a cuddlebug and I'm glad to have some company...
She's getting spoiled!
thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom