broken nail bleeding

filmcmahon

Chirping
Nov 3, 2019
Ontario
hello! my columbian has a bit of a nail injury. it appears that she broke half of her “thumb” nail and it was bleeding quite a bit yesterday. i think she might’ve caught it on something while digging in the yard yesterday. anyways, i investigated it further today and it is almost half ripped off!

is there a certain way i should bandage it? she does not like when i touch it.
also when i moved the broken part it started bleeding a little again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 7
I had something similar happen a few months ago. I used vetrap and a little bit of gauze to bandage it. I only wrapped it around the one toe, with a little bit up her leg to keep in place.
Is there someone else there that can help you hold her? I’ve noticed it can be easier with two people.

I had something similar happen a few months ago. I used vetrap and a little bit of gauze to bandage it. I only wrapped it around the one toe, with a little bit up her leg to keep in place.
Is there someone else there that can help you hold her? I’ve noticed it can be easier with two people.
there is someone who can hold her!! also, what is vetrap? like horse tape?

there is someone who can hold her!! also, what is vetrap? like horse tape?

I don’t know, I’ve never heard of horse tape. Vetrap is a type of bandage that only sticks to itself. I think it also goes by flexible tape? You can find it at a lot of stores, and it comes in a lot of different colors. I would stay away from reds or pinks, the chickens will peck at that.
27700FC9-52CE-47DF-9CD7-88D345CA8D79.jpeg

I don’t know, I’ve never heard of horse tape. Vetrap is a type of bandage that only sticks to itself. I think it also goes by flexible tape? You can find it at a lot of stores, and it comes in a lot of different colors. I would stay away from reds or pinks, the chickens will peck at that.
View attachment 2064198
yes that is essentially what horse tape is!! i don’t have any on me right now actually. do you think i could just use medical tape?

hello! my columbian has a bit of a nail injury. it appears that she broke half of her “thumb” nail and it was bleeding quite a bit yesterday. i think she might’ve caught it on something while digging in the yard yesterday. anyways, i investigated it further today and it is almost half ripped off!

is there a certain way i should bandage it? she does not like when i touch it.
also when i moved the broken part it started bleeding a little again
You can snip that off and stop the bleeding or leave it alone and let it fall off on it's own.
A broken nail is painful and she will self limit.

I agree that if the nail is just hanging, snip it off. I would apply some iodine or other disinfectant and leave it alone. It will be painful for a week or two, but better than the nail hanging there getting banged around. A dressing might be too cumbersome or cause more pressure and pain.

Back
Top Bottom