Broken or Sprained???? Help Please

Kmoreau

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
We have an above ground pool, and occassionally when the weather has been nice, I let my ducks swim in it... since I wont be until alteast next spring anyway. Well the other night, I put them in the big pool and I went to run so errands. They have never tried to jump out on their own and are usually very content floating in the pool.... shame on me because I should have gotten them out before leaving, but unfortuantely I didnt.
Well my female jumped out of the pool, my drake did not. So when I got back home I went to get them out and noticed she already got out, I let him out put him on the ground then went to feed them. I noticed she was limping just a little bit, but not too bad. As a precaution, I kept her overnight in a kennel, gave her some asprin ( acording to byc suggestions), gave her food and water and left her for the night. My drake was ticked off at me, but she was not being her usual self (i.e. running from me, scared to death) She was just laying there letting me hold her and pet her... I could tell she was in pain.

Next day, I let her out to strech her legs and so I could clean out the kennel. She wasnt back to normal but she wasnt in too much pain. she was still limping but atleast waddeling around and even running from me like normal, but I put her back in the kennel that whole day just to be on the safe side. Well I got home from work and she was much worse, limping more pronounced and holding her leg up.
Flash forward to 3 nights later (aka tonight) and she has gone down hill. She wont move unless I pick her up, she will stand for short spurts on the good leg, but doesnt put the other one down at all. I am so worried about her, she has been confined to the kennel, she is still eating and drinking but not too much. Today I felt bad so I left her out of the kennel but I locked my drake up so he wouldnt be harassing her. she was in the kiddie pool for most of the day (btw I had to put her in it this morning, all she did was stand at the edge looking in it but couldnt lift her self up to climb in). I have her back in the kennel and have given her some more asprin.

I throughly checked her leg, hip, and foot out. I noticed some minor swelling but nothing serious. No bruising, and nothing feeling or looking out of line. I felt her hips and both appear to be the same. I dont have the money right now for a vet. My mother just had a kidney transplant and while it was a miracle, its been very expensive being her sole provider.

I just dont know what else I can do for my baby girl. I feel so bad it was my fault. Is there any sure fire ways to tell if it was just a sprain or if it is broken? Any suggestions would be helpful.. I dont want this to be so bad I have to take her life, cause I do not think I could ever live with myself for that. I dont judge those who do at all, and I probably could had I had those intentions from the begining, but she was a rescue and my baby, who I and my husband have grown very attached to.

Please help me, I am just so sad
hit.gif
:hit:hit

Only sure fire way is an xray since it would pick up even a small hairline crack that may not be apparent by feeling down the bones.
sad.png
poor ducky Keeping her confined with plenty of time in water to keep the weight off the leg will help. Can you get some multivitamins for her ? Giving her a boost may help aid faster healer for her.

Back
Top Bottom