Broken tibia update.

Ryan James

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Anchorage, Ak
Our True Blue had a run in with a friends dog last Thursday and ended up with a break. We changed the splint last night because it was slipping so it gave us a opportunity to take check out the healing. There seems to be a large callas forming at the break and swelling is way down. The bruise is a strange green color but I think it is ok. The foot of the affected led is a little lighter in color but this morning seemed to be moving its toes some. So for the most part we are happy and will see what the next week brings

Attachments

• IMG_7467.JPG
    IMG_7467.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7468.JPG
    IMG_7468.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 12
Good for you! Nice job. Remember, if this is a young chick you will need to change the bandage frequently to accommodate growth spurts. So long as the toes are warm I think you'll be okay. Be aware, however, these types of injuries may result in a 'slipped tendon' at the elbow and complete recovery may not happen. Even so, True Blue can adapt and will figure out how to use the leg. Good luck!

IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3959.JPG
Good for you! Nice job. Remember, if this is a young chick you will need to change the bandage frequently to accommodate growth spurts. So long as the toes are warm I think you'll be okay. Be aware, however, these types of injuries may result in a 'slipped tendon' at the elbow and complete recovery may not happen. Even so, True Blue can adapt and will figure out how to use the leg. Good luck!
Hi there! This was my husbands post and I just had another update on our Blue and a concern actually. When I came home from work last night the leg looked a bit twisted and the foot very swollen with the toes splayed out when they hadn't been before. I can actually see serous fluid that oozes out in spots and when I press on the foot more fluid will come out. We figured out a better sling because she's been fighting it from the start and I believe reinjuring the leg. What are your thoughts on the swollen fluid filled foot? I unwrapped the leg and then just very loosely rewrapped it up high only. She's still eating, drinking and chirping.

Not good. Either a serious infection has set in and will require antibiotics, or circulation to the leg has been affected which may require amputation. I would get in contact with an avian vet to see what can be done. You can try warm baths (if she does not panic) to soak the leg. You can also do warm iodine solution wraps to affected area for 10 minutes twice a day. (A warm iodine wrap is simply bandage material soaked in diluted iodine-some folks use diluted Nolvasan-and wrapped gently around the leg). Good luck!

Not good. Either a serious infection has set in and will require antibiotics, or circulation to the leg has been affected which may require amputation. I would get in contact with an avian vet to see what can be done. You can try warm baths (if she does not panic) to soak the leg. You can also do warm iodine solution wraps to affected area for 10 minutes twice a day. (A warm iodine wrap is simply bandage material soaked in diluted iodine-some folks use diluted Nolvasan-and wrapped gently around the leg). Good luck!
I did take her to an avian vet yesterday and he said a bad infection. Possibly a septic joint. He took an aspirate from the leg and looked at it under the microscope. Infection was just too bad and she was already starting to look sick. We decided just to euthanize her at that point. I'm so so sad about it. She was my favorite girl. So sweet and loved to sit on my shoulder and chirp.
Thanks for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom