Broken toe hen/limp/antibiotic diarrhea help

4milefarm

In the Brooder
May 15, 2020
Yr old Leghorn hen, backstory first. found with a toe that pointed out and swelling. We took her to the Vet (we mentioned the pointing out toe) Due to pandemic we were not allowed to go inside the vet, we had to wait in the car, I told them to call me if need be I’d have my cell on in the parking lot. Dr came out with hen about 20 mins later all bandaged up and had put a 1” slit in her foot (to drain it) wrapped it up like a club and told us to give her antibiotics and keep her alone and dry for a week and remove bandage said it was bumble foot. We’ve dealt with bumble before and this did not look bumble (just swelling and crooked toe clearly broke no wound or sore or oozing) he told us to isolate her somewhere dry and keep the bandage on a week plus antibiotics. We did this a week, but foot looked the same so we took her back, I explained to nurse to please try to not open it back up unless necessary as it was very traumatic for her and to call me in the parking lot with questions. Dr emerged yet again with hen foot wrapped and had drained it again and said 3 weeks in bandage and 3 weeks more on antibiotics 😔 he then said “it’s the darndest thing that toe is broken” 😡 so we now think our gut was right and she never had bumble foot and didn’t need to be cut open at all , much less twice or on the meds. The toe is broken clearly, he said if it keeps bothering her and won’t heal they can amputate it. We feel very strongly this vet caused her more harm and suffering than her just having a broken toe and having it splinted. Advice needed as the toe is on week 3 of being bent, we are unwrapping it daily to check the swelling and wound the vet created, using ssd cream she is on a sulfa antibiotic and now has chronic diarrhea, it is wrapped and taped for support. She is eating great, is laying her egg (we toss them due to the meds she’s been on now) she holds the foot up and only uses it if she must, she’s been away from flock 3 weeks now. Anyone deal with a broken toe? How about an amputated toe worst case if it doesn’t heal? How about a limping chicken if we choose to let her just keep the toe can she go back to flock? Help for the runny diarrhea? She’s on layer pellets and some dry meal worms and a few greens.

Was it infected? Like he drained puss? I usually let them work limps out. I haven't found my interference helps any. If it's infected still after so many weeks on antibiotics, I'd be concerned. For adding back to the flock, if the wound is healed you can. You have to treat her like adding a new chicken because they other hens will. So put her in the crate in the coop so they can look but not touch. For a week at least. Only real cure for the diarrhea is to stop antibiotics. Yogurt and/or probiotics will help. I believe canned plain pumpkin helps too for stomach upsets.

Was it infected? Like he drained puss? I usually let them work limps out. I haven't found my interference helps any. If it's infected still after so many weeks on antibiotics, I'd be concerned. For adding back to the flock, if the wound is healed you can. You have to treat her like adding a new chicken because they other hens will. So put her in the crate in the coop so they can look but not touch. For a week at least. Only real cure for the diarrhea is to stop antibiotics. Yogurt and/or probiotics will help. I believe canned plain pumpkin helps too for stomach upsets.
Thank you for the reply, on the outside there was zero sign of infection just some swelling about pea sized from the toe break we believe. The Vet said he lanced it and tried to squeeze some liquid out he said there was some puss. Second time he lanced it again and said he’d squeezed more out. He also then mentioned the broken toe. We fear it was just a break all along and by him lancing it , we now have an infection to deal with and antibiotic diarrhea. I will certainly take your advice thanks

Back
Top Bottom