broken toe with welsummer chicks

nfwc1964

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Danville, NH
We just brought the 6wk old chicks outside to the chicken run (2 jersey giants, 2 welsummers, 2 speckle sussexs and 2 light brahmas).

That is when I noticed out of the 8 chicks both our welsummer's have 1 toe that looks broken. Couldn't tell while they were all in the brooder. All the other chicks toes look fine. Is this from confinement in the brooder or could it have happened upon shipment? Chicks born 7/9/12 & received them via us mail on 7/11/12.

Should I be concerned? At this moment they don't seem to be aware but just worried about potential picking on by other chicks.
thanks
Nancy

I've had a number of broken, squashed and even missing toes with my chicks. Don't worry about it, unless it bleeds. Then you should wrap it up (I used an ordinary band-aid) to stop the other chicks trying to eat it.

I just read your post and I also have 2 welsummers that I hatched that have bent toes also, nothing was ever broken they were born like this, does anyone else know if this is a weakness in the breed?

I know this post is old but I found it because I just picked up a Welsummer pullet (7 weeks) from someone and her middle toe is bent exactly like oletymer's picture! She doesn't seem to notice it but does wobble a bit. I've never had a Welsummer before but now I'm curious if it -is- a common thing for the breed? How bizarre. I don't think I'll try splinting it or anything, it's possible she was born with it as well. But as long as they can lead a good full life with it I'm sure I'll love her just the same!

Back
Top Bottom