mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
Background:
buff orpington and welsummer x 7 yrs old
silkie rooster, americauna, black australorp, plymouth rock x 4 yrs old
Silkie rooster + americauna hybrid (hatched in coop x 2 yr)
Recently obtained rooster of something, don't know (previous thread on it) black with gold specks, maybe a cross link. To my knowledge he had not claimed any of the younger hens, potentially tried mating with the older ones.

I put 5 eggs in my incubator last month and 4 hatched. one didn't make it, know why it it just made it like 90%. These are those four and I wanted help identifying.
The black one is an easy guess of the australorp, the two americauna ones are different. You see one has blueish grey beak and feet with the 5th toe like the silkies. But...does this mean it's offspring of the hybrid one or just dominant genes from the silkie rooster with the regular americauna? And the other americauna is dominant genes? The golden one i assume is the orpington and it has black specks so maybe some traits from my black rooster?

Wasn't sure how chicken genetics work. how much does the rooster really pass down? The hybrid americauna one i have does look different than the pure americauna, it's a bit fluffier and grey in the behind and face is slightly fluffier. To my knowledge shey may or may not lay green eggs. However, only one egg in the incubator was green....so perhaps she lays light tan like silkies do. I put one green, one dark brown, two light brown in there and one of the light brown didn't make it.
Also one of the americauna looking chicks (the greyish foot one) is noticeably bigger than the other. The smaller one concerned me at first because it looks like her navel didn't close up properly. I thought they had pasty butt at first but it's like a hardened tissue where the navel would be and discolored. i'll take a better picture later.

I didn't sex them yet, didn't look up how yet

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_6176.jpg
    IMG_6176.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6180.jpg
    IMG_6180.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6181.jpg
    IMG_6181.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230712_222511_01.jpg
    IMG_20230712_222511_01.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 16
Any chick you have that has 5 toes must come from at least one parent with 5 toes. That means, that if your silkie mix hen has five toes the chick could be hers, or it could be from the silkie rooster, since 5 toes is a dominant gene. From what I understand, you also have EEs. Any bearded offspring should come from your EEs, and/or your silkies and silkie mixes, if they are bearded

Any chick you have that has 5 toes must come from at least one parent with 5 toes. That means, that if your silkie mix hen has five toes the chick could be hers, or it could be from the silkie rooster, since 5 toes is a dominant gene. From what I understand, you also have EEs. Any bearded offspring should come from your EEs, and/or your silkies and silkie mixes, if they are bearded
the hybrid one has five toes...i think. She's not very nice since she's the only one not raised by hand. I'll check. i always wondered about that because one of the americaunas i bought never quite looked like an americauna, might be an EE. I'll take more pics at home

the hybrid one has five toes...i think. She's not very nice since she's the only one not raised by hand. I'll check. i always wondered about that because one of the americaunas i bought never quite looked like an americauna, might be an EE. I'll take more pics at home

Ameraucana are a breed that lays blue eggs. Where did you get these birds? Americana/Americauna are fancy names for EEs

Ameraucana are a breed that lays blue eggs. Where did you get these birds? Americana/Americauna are fancy names for EEs
oh ok. nothing's blue, must be EE. They were from a local hatchery in 2019. they never did have "fluffy cheeks" like i thought since ameraucanas do. In fact the original one was named fluffy cheeks for that reason

barn yard mixes. not pure breeds. i wasnt understanding whether you are asking what breeds they are or if what parents breeds they are
more trying to identify parents for fun. i didn't think the buff orpington would be because she lays less and the older flock had never been mated even by the silkie rooster. but the new rooster was given to us so i assume he tried claiming them for his own

so the hybrid EE definitely has five toes. but if the other EE chick doesn't, does that mean it's from the black rooster? I was under the impression that my white rooster had pretty much claimed the original 5 hens (we lost one so not in picture) of his flock of 2019. The Buff and Welsumer were never mated with him. my old girls never had a rooster and when we introduced those 6 chicks in 2019 the 4 older hens were never mounted by him. I started to see some back feather scratch signs on the older ones once the new guy came along so i assume he only mated them. I also assumed roosters wouldn't share but rather claim their own clan. You can see the hybrid EE definitely has silkie traits like the feathery backside and slightly more puffy cheeks, although her head's down in that picture

Attachments

• PXL_20230714_141229087.jpg
    PXL_20230714_141229087.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230714_141238873.jpg
    PXL_20230714_141238873.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230714_141242815.jpg
    PXL_20230714_141242815.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230714_141247900.jpg
    PXL_20230714_141247900.jpg