Broken Toenail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JakRat, Dec 28, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I think my hens are trying to drive me crazy!

Anyway one of my girls jumped off my lap and broke her toenail on the bathroom floor. It bleed quite alot for such a small creature, but I put some baking powder on it and it stopped. I was just worried that it might get infected. She is a figgity bird and I am worried that if I put a bandaid on her that she will just peck it off.

So I just put her back in the coop... she seems fine other than cranky that I picked her up...

Sigh I need to go see a psychiatrist.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    haha - they do have a way of driving you nuts sometimes, don't they? IMO, that's what makes them so enjoyable, though. One of my hens is very cranky, and lets me know when she isn't happy with me by yelling loudly at me. I sometimes can't control myself and bawk right back at her - neighbors must think I am more than a little unbalanced..... Glad you were able to stop your hens bleeding, and she is safe and sound back in her coop [​IMG]

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:yeah I talk to mine and squak back at them too... but my neighbors know I am nuts [​IMG]

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:yeah I talk to mine and squak back at them too... but my neighbors know I am nuts [​IMG]

well they mustn't have chickens of their own then (neither do mine), or else they'd understand completely [​IMG]

5. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    well she started bleeding again. So I brought her back inside (it is super windy here today) and bound her toe up with a cotton ball and some electrical tape (you know your a redneck when...). She is moving fine with it and isnt even trying to peck it off. Shocking!

Speaking of being the crazy chicken lady, I did sit in the coop with my girls today since it was so windy and letting them out was not an option (one girl did get out and was having trouble walking back because of the wind, it was hilarious). So imagine seeing me sitting in the coop with my blue sweatpants, blue robe and maroon rooster covered rain boots with an EE and 2 1/2 month speckled sussex and another speckled baby under my thighs... yes I take the cake today for crazy chicken lady... but how could I deny them warm nap time [​IMG]

6. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    best thing to do is just pack it with flour and leave her be. the flour will help it clot and scab up. gl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by