Bronze Turkeys

ilovemychickies

Songster
12 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Just north of Dallas Tx.
Hi all! We were just at the feedstore looking at chicks, and saw a couple of bronze turkey chicks. They were very sweet, and I was wondering, do they stay sweet? Any info would be great! Thanks so much.

Ashleigh

Last edited:
You didn't bring them home?? lol
I ordered some but they for meat not pets. They get very very big....
I wouldn't make pets out of something that huge....can get over 50 lbs! and problems as they get older.
Meat wise I hear they are much better than reg turkeys, more moist and better flavor.

No, we didn't bring them home. But I wanted to SO bad!!! Thanks so much for responding. I don't think that we're going to be getting any. DRAT! We weren't going to use them for meat, just eggs and love. Do you know of any turkeys that are good layers? Thanks again.

Ashleigh

Turkeys require considerably more space than the chooks so preparation is important. If you want to collect turkey hen eggs (and most heritage breeds will lay regularly during season if not allowed to go broody) you will have to provide them with comfortable nesting in an enclosed area - otherwise the girls will wander hither and yon and set up shop out in the woods somewhere! You will need to collect the eggs daily. If they go broody you can expect a hissing, biting, wing flogging knock down drag out to get the eggs. We have Slates and Royals and love 'em, but they ain't chooks!

Please Read:

http://www.albc-usa.org/downloads.html

Back
Top Bottom