Brood outside- opinions please

Thancock760

Songster
Jul 21, 2021
Hi all!
We have had our half dozen pullets brooding inside since we got them two weeks ago. Their coop and run comes this week and I was wondering if I can move their brooder to the coop/run during day/evening? We are in west TN and the weather is definitely warm enough day and night. I just feel like it would allow them more space and acquaint them with the outdoors better. Thoughts?

I had been taking my two-week olds out of their indoor brooder to spend days outdoors for a number of years. Now I brood outdoors in the run so my chicks begin life outdoors. Keep in mind that broody raised chicks spend all their time outdoors, so brooding indoors is not quite natural.

On warm days, 75 and above, your two-week olds will not need much heat, if any, but watch them for signs of chilling - huddling together. I would transport my chicks in a pet carrier and leave it for them to shelter in. When I saw they had returned to the carrier, I knew it was time to bring them back indoors.

I had been taking my two-week olds out of their indoor brooder to spend days outdoors for a number of years. Now I brood outdoors in the run so my chicks begin life outdoors. Keep in mind that broody raised chicks spend all their time outdoors, so brooding indoors is not quite natural.

On warm days, 75 and above, your two-week olds will not need much heat, if any, but watch them for signs of chilling - huddling together. I would transport my chicks in a pet carrier and leave it for them to shelter in. When I saw they had returned to the carrier, I knew it was time to bring them back indoors.
Thank you for the feedback! Out here we have 90’s to mid 80’seighties for weeks during day and nothing lower than 70’s at night…. Just seems so much more beneficial to give them the great (secured) outdoors….

My incubator or store bought or shipped chicks always go out to brood at 2 weeks. No matter what temp it is outside. Most times with a light or lamp for comfort or heet.
Just make sure your coop is preditor proof, no gap or hole over 1/2 inch and they will be fine
Once Outside you have to start thinking about racoons, hawks, fox, weasel and neighborhood dogs, just to name the most common preditors.
Good luck with your chicks!

My incubator or store bought or shipped chicks always go out to brood at 2 weeks. No matter what temp it is outside. Most times with a light or lamp for comfort or heet.
Just make sure your coop is preditor proof, no gap or hole over 1/2 inch and they will be fine
Once Outside you have to start thinking about racoons, hawks, fox, weasel and neighborhood dogs, just to name the most common preditors.
Good luck with your chicks!
Yes! We are purchasing hardwire cloth for the run and making sure the coop is all sealed right. I did a lot of research on the pre-fab so am aware of how we need to reinforce it. Our Golden, Honey, is very protective of them already too. Warms my heart.

At those temperatures 2-week-olds do not need any heat during the day. They'd probably be OK at night in the upper 70's but I'd be nervous with the lower 70's. They are in that area where I'm not real comfortable. At three weeks I'd feel a lot better about the low 70's overnight.

In any case I'd want the coop to protect them from rain so they don't get wet and stop breezes down low where they are. I think decent ventilation helps too as long as they can get out of a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom