BroodBox Incubator Project

Amedean

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2016
Melbourne Florida
Staying true to my intention, I am going to use this thread to log my work on this project. I have been a lurker here a couple years but recently I decided to join the discussion. I was partially driven by a request from my father a few of weeks ago. You can read more about this on my intro so I can get to the goodies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/designing-an-incubator-for-my-dad.1308420/

SO to the project, I wanted to do something new having been disapointed with what is currently available in the market considering price. My build will have quality components, I am not cutting corners unless cost/benefit is substantial. Some of the features I am considering.
  • Computerized controls.
  • Interactive OLED display with simplified interface.
  • 500+ chicken egg capacity.
  • Active humidity control (note a damp sponge)
  • Ultrasonic humidifier.
  • Programmable humidity settings depending on the calendar day.
  • Active temperature and humidity sensors inside and outside.
  • Alternative heating elements using ceramic heating.
  • Egg rotation mechanism that stops before hatch date (programmable).
  • Active air circulation.
  • Reinforced aluminum frame design.
  • Robust and easy to repair design.
  • Built in surge protection.
  • Handles for two man carry.
  • Sub $1k MSRP if marketed.
I uploaded some images to communicate the vision. I do appreciate and want feedback, keep in mind I am designing a semi industrial system. In the future I will consider a smaller system. I will be testing my prototype at my father's homestead and when I am satisfied with the results I will consider reproduction. I purchased testing equipment and raw materials. Currently writing code integrating systems and consolidating research of optimum environmental conditions for egg embryo development.
sketch1557679642664 (002).png
testing.jpg

Good start! I am going the conversion route to save the hassle of building a box. I am using this:
4DB2D0C3-4E32-4C45-9E06-5EFB059B8186.jpeg

Gutted it and am building a control box on top with the wiring on the back. I am probably going with a mix of PID control and Arduino control. Capacity of 196 eggs. I am using a flat roller system with removable slats for hatching. Forced air over a pre-heated ultrasonic humidifier and also using stainless heat rods. The turner will use a servo motor to rotate the shaft. I will post a build article with a parts and step by step build guide. The only problem is I still work full time and have a couple hundred birds to take care of daily!

Good luck with your build and doing stuff with your dad is always a plus.

Good start! I am going the conversion route to save the hassle of building a box. I am using this:
View attachment 1791397
Gutted it and am building a control box on top with the wiring on the back. I am probably going with a mix of PID control and Arduino control. Capacity of 196 eggs. I am using a flat roller system with removable slats for hatching. Forced air over a pre-heated ultrasonic humidifier and also using stainless heat rods. The turner will use a servo motor to rotate the shaft. I will post a build article with a parts and step by step build guide. The only problem is I still work full time and have a couple hundred birds to take care of daily!

Good luck with your build and doing stuff with your dad is always a plus.
Sounds like sound build plan. You might want to check into a 'sail winch' servo, they turn a little slower than regular servos.

Sounds like sound build plan. You might want to check into a 'sail winch' servo, they turn a little slower than regular servos.

I checked into those too. I will be driving them with a Arduino and the speed is adjustable in the code. The main reason is that I have the hardware for them already from my rc hobby.

Back
Top Bottom