Brooder advice

popsicle

Songster
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Looking at the mountains in MT
Hello All!
My husband and I are going to start building a bigger brooder than our large plastic tub. I'd like any suggestions before we begin.

We currently have six ~2 week old chicks. I also hope to get a couple each of goslings, duckling and turkey poults within the month. I'm think a two compartment brooder would be best. I'm hoping that by the time I need to separate the waterfowl from the turkeys, the chickens would be ready to move out into the proper coop--am I too optimistic?

What would be the minimum size you would recommend for each compartment considering the number/species of birds? Should we build two separate brooders, or is the two compartment brooder fine?

As far as future use, I don't imagine we would end up with more than a dozen chicks at any time (I suck at chicken math--I can keep my chicken collecting under control).

Since we haven't started construction, and we haven't gotten the other birds, I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Thanks!

This is an example of my 2-compartment brooder. It has a divider in the middle with a door in between. If we have one flock, we can open the door and let them use both sides. If we have 2 groups, the door has hardware cloth so they can see and smell each other but not fight.

The issue I am thinking of in your case is that if you get different species from different locations, they are not quarantined from each other if you use a common brooder. This means that if one flock gets sick, they can pass it on to the other.

Thanks for the info and picture of your brooder!

For now, all our birds are coming from the local feed store--which come from the same hatchery (though not sure if they come from the same facility).

Back
Top Bottom