brooder box placement?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kdavis228, May 5, 2011.

1. kdavis228

kdavis228 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    mississippi
    I live in south Mississippi and was wondering the best placement for my brooders box?

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Inside or outside?

Inside, where ever is out of your way, not too hot...not too cold. When I broodered this past Feb-March it was cold outside so I broodered in my laundry room. Now my laundry room gets way too much sun and stays too warm. If I needed to bring my brooder in, I'd have to find a new place.

Outside, somewhere predator proof, rain proof and somewhere that you can run a light too for warmth

3. mrchicken

mrchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I have a workshop room that is not in my main living space.
    I have a brooder there for my 1 wk olds. If you have an out-of-the-way place besides the laundry room, that would be the ideal environment for baby chickens.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    To me, the ideal place is in a garage, barn, shed, coop -- whatever you have.

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I have an upper level I built in my chicken coop- an enclosed 'loft'. Above the regular hens.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:Welcome to the forum!! I am from Mississippi as well, but I live on the north end...

I put mine on my front porch... It has brick walls, so it helps against the draft, but the brooder has solid walls also...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by